Thread: GAL synced distribution lists show no users with Expand

rbarnes is offline Junior Member

Default GAL synced distribution lists show no users with Expand

We're a college with 20,000+ student accounts and ~2,000 faculty/staff accounts. In Zimbra, we have a gal sync account that syncs over the faculty/staff accounts from our enterprise directory service, Active Directory.

Because of their numbers, we didn't want to include students in the GAL and actually keep their accounts in a different OU in AD. They are not synced into the gal account.

Recently we decided to add class sections as Zimbra distribution lists. Like the students, we keep these in a different part of AD from faculty/staff users. We sync the actual lists nightly so they become Zimbra distribution lists. We also added another datasource to the gal sync account to sync these into the GAL so users can see the lists in the GAL, which they can.

Here's the problem: The class section distribution lists show up in the GAL and have an expand option next to their names, but when you click Expand, the only thing that shows is empty brackets '{}'. Faculty would like to see the students in these groups.

Question: What do we need to do to have students show up when the class section lists are expanded? Do we have to add student accounts to our gal sync if they're to show in the expanded distribution lists. Do users in distribution lists have to be in the same gal sync datasource as the distribution lists?

Recap for the confused:

Ou=FacultyStaff users and groups SYNCED with Zimbra galsync account and show up in the GAL, including with the DL expand option. SUCCESS
    Ou=Students users NOT SYNCED with galsync and do not show up in the GAL, which is what we want. SUCCESS
    Ou=ClassSections groups SYNCED with galsync. DL show up in the GAL but expand option reveals nothing '{}'.SUCCESS and FAILURE.

I appreciate any insight and help with this.

Roy Barnes
    Academic Systems Administrator
    Southwest TN Community College

awilly is offline Intermediate Member

Roy,

I do not know the answer to your question. I apologize.

I am interested in your description of the problem. You said, "We sync the actual lists nightly so they become Zimbra distribution lists."

Can you elaborate on that? I would love to be able to make Zimbra DLs from AD DLs through a synch process.

Maybe if I get as far along as you have, I will replicate your problem and help you troubleshoot it!

Thanks,

Andrew

rbarnes is offline Junior Member

Andrew, it's a nightly bash script run through cron that queries the groups in the class sections AD with LDAP, queries Zimbra with zmprov, and then compares the differences with diff. If there's a AD group that doesn't exist in Zimbra, it creates a new one in Zimbra. If a user is added or removed from the AD group, the script removes them from the Zimbra distribution list. AD is authoritative.

It's somewhat brute force, and therefore only run nightly, but has worked well.

awilly is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbarnes View Post
    Andrew, it's a nightly bash script run through cron that queries the groups in the class sections AD with LDAP, queries Zimbra with zmprov, and then compares the differences with diff. If there's a AD group that doesn't exist in Zimbra, it creates a new one in Zimbra. If a user is added or removed from the AD group, the script removes them from the Zimbra distribution list. AD is authoritative.

Is the script something available to anyone, or something you've developed internally? If the former, can you point me in the right direction. We would love to use a tool like this.

Andrew

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbarnes View Post

zmprov gdl ADgrouplistclass@domain com
    shows all members and list attributes correctly?

ccelis

Thread Information