Thread: Mail Bouncing Immediately if server is off

mutuku is offline Active Member

Default Mail Bouncing Immediately if server is off

Hi,

When I turn my mail server off, the mail bounces immediately with a 503 error. I want to set it so that the sending server retries for 48 hours. The mail server is behind a nat router.

How do I achieve this?

Thanks.

kruon is offline Loyal Member

You need to configure backup MX which will receive the messages while the main server is down.
    See this for some ideas.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mutuku View Post
    When I turn my mail server off, the mail bounces immediately with a 503 error.
    That's normal, what else would you expect? A "503" error can mean almost anything and you need to quote the whole error line for the exact reason.

I want to set it so that the sending server retries for 48 hours.
    You have no control over how the sending server behaves when it can't deliver mail. The normal functiona of a mail server is to retry the mail for up-to five days and will deliver mail when the target is up and running.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's normal, what else would you expect? A "503" error can mean almost anything and you need to quote the whole error line for the exact reason.

You have no control over how the sending server behaves when it can't deliver mail. The normal functiona of a mail server is to retry the mail for up-to five days and will deliver mail when the target is up and running.

Reason I asked is that I have 2 domains on the same server. If I turn my server off and send mail to both domains from the same source (gmail), One domain bounces immediately, while the other does not. when I turn on the server (after 15 mins or so), I receive the mail from the domain that mail did not bounce

Quote Originally Posted by kruon View Post
    You need to configure backup MX which will receive the messages while the main server is down.
    See this for some ideas.
    Is it possible to pull mail to the primary server from the secondary server? Reason I am asking is that I experience nasty power outages over weekends(nearly 40 hours. My power backup only lasts 8 hours).

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Reason I asked is that I have 2 domains on the same server. If I turn my server off and send mail to both domains from the same source (gmail), One domain bounces immediately, while the other does not. when I turn on the server (after 15 mins or so), I receive the mail from the domain that mail did not bounce
    As I've already said, that's got nothing to do with your Zimbra server and is a function of the sending server.

Is it possible to pull mail to the primary server from the secondary server?
    You don't "pull mail" from a secondary server, it gets delivered when your server is up and running - this is the normal function of a secondary mail server. I would strongly advise you not to run a secondary server, it's a target for spammers. Use the services of a professional company that provides secondary backup MX services and they'll look after the spam problem and deliver mail when your server is available. You could also use the services of a company that provide backup MX services as part of a package e.g. Easydns provide it if you sue their (inexpensive) DNS hosting service. I'd also suggest you read-up on what's invo9lved in running a secondary server, do a we search.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Phoenix and Kroun

Thread Information