Thread: Replace Exchange Server in Windows Domain

cjm51213 is offline Active Member

Default Replace Exchange Server in Windows Domain

Hi Folks,

I have a Windows Server 2008r2 domain controller, which implies Active Directory, which implies some flavor of LDAP. I want to migrate from Exchange Server to Zimbra running on Fedora and I have a few specific questions.

Will I be using Active Directory or do I install OpenLDAP or similar on the Fedora server hosting Zimbra?

What are the other question I need to consider when integrating Zimbra into a Windows 2008r2 domain?

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

P.S. Is this forum a Zimbra application, meaning would I also have this at my office after I have fully implemented ZCS?

kruon is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjm51213 View Post
    Will I be using Active Directory or do I install OpenLDAP or similar on the Fedora server hosting Zimbra?
    Zimbra has built-in LDAP which is essential to it's operation, so don't install extra LDAP servers on your own.

You can use AD to authenticate your users(for mail logon) if you prefer your users have only one password.
    However, you need to first export the user list from AD and import it to zimbra, then you need to configure your AD as LDAP authentication source.

What are the other question I need to consider when integrating Zimbra into a Windows 2008r2 domain?
    Are you deploying free(OSS) or paid(NE) edition? How long have your users been using exchange?

If you're going to use the free edition, you will lose features like group calendars for those users who still decide to use outlook as their primary email interface.
    Group calendar works, but only when used through the web interface.
    You cannot sync the calendar between zimbra and outlook in the free version.
    You cannot sync the calendar to mobile devices.

In any case, I suggest you do a test install to see what's working and what's not. That'll give you some ground to compare it against exchange side by side.
    And if the test install looks promising, perhaps deploy split horizon install, where some of the users are on exchange and some of them on zimbra.

cjm51213 is offline Active Member

Hi Kruon,

Thanks very much. My plan is to use the community supported edition of Zimbra.

Can I connect the Zimbra LDAP service to the Active Directory so that they are "replication" peers? Is there an Implementation Manual for this sort of Exchange Server to Zimbra migration?

Is this fourm an example of a Zimbra supported service?

Thanks for the help.

Chris.

kruon is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjm51213 View Post
    Can I connect the Zimbra LDAP service to the Active Directory so that they are "replication" peers?
    No. You can only replicate AD with another AD running same version of windows server, or atleast same forest level.

For free edition of zimbra, closest thing of replication is probably hot standby.
    Is there an Implementation Manual for this sort of Exchange Server to Zimbra migration?
    See the migration wizard for exchange.
    There's probably updated version for 7.x somewhere but the concept is same.

Is this fourm an example of a Zimbra supported service?
    Yes, the support you get of OSS is what you can find by searching the forum. Most of the answers here are from people like me, fellow admins, not zimbra/vmware employees.
    We(the fellow admins) probably cannot give 100% accurate answers to your problems, just our educated and on-field found expertise. Assuming we bother to write anything at all.
    You're not paying for support with the free version so you only have what you can find here(or from google)

ypong is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kruon View Post
    If you're going to use the free edition, you will lose features like group calendars for those users who still decide to use outlook as their primary email interface.
    Group calendar works, but only when used through the web interface.
    You cannot sync the calendar between zimbra and outlook in the free version.
    You cannot sync the calendar to mobile devices.
    To be pedantic, the Zimbra calendar uses caldav; so devices that support this (whether natively, e.g. apple iOS/OSX, or through plugins, e.g. android, windows) can use and sync with the calendar. But yes, without any 3rd party plugins, outlook will not be able to sync with a caldav server.

As example, my company has 90% usage of thunderbird+lightning plugin, which is fine for caldav (although there is a limitation of lightning being unable to have attachments with events in the calendar), so for the other 10% who insist on using outlook, we are evaluating appropriate caldav plugins for them, e.g. iCal4OL: Synchronize Outlook with Google Calendar, iCloud, EGroupware, Darwin, DAViCal and other CalDAV/CardDAV Solutions - ICAL Feeds Import/Export.

(no affiliation with iCal4OL, just giving one example out of many)
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition

Thread Information