Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimbra 8 can you stop admins viewing users mail

Crayz9000 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alupis View Post
    thats unfortunate... looks like i'll hold off on the 8.x upgrade for a while then (already had enough problems with my last 7.x upgrade... )... maybe it will be fixed in a future 8.x release?
    Fixed? This was a conscious decision on the part of the Zimbra dev team. Some customers (like Carl, the OP) don't want certain admins being able to view users' mail. Turning the function into an optional zimlet was probably the easiest way to accomplish that. I'm not sure I agree with making it a Network Edition specific feature when it was formerly available in the OSE, but having said that, the NE zimlet works just fine on the OSE as evidenced in the thread linked by maumar (I'm assuming you didn't fully read through it).
    Release 8.0.2.GA.5569.UBUNTU10.64 DEBIAN6_64 FOSS edition

klein.rfk is offline Junior Member

OK, but use the viewmail.zip from NE edition is not illegal?

Alupis is offline Intermediate Member

busted! i didn't read it completely... skimmed through...

still a strange way to go about this... why not make it a zimlet (as it is now) and have it disabled by default or something... I'm not terribly eager to install a package on the Open Source edition that may or may not effect something in a future update (since they clearly don't want to have that feature in the Open Source edition anymore). ...

EDIT: Just wanted to add that having this feature is critical for me. I use it to easily jump into a users account and setup filters, forwarding, signatures, etc. All things my users can't really do easily on their own. Having this capability is crucial for me to provide a seamless experience to my office users...
    Last edited by Alupis; 10-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.

yeahh... it works, but, again, it is not illegal? I mean, if it a NE exclusive resource, I am illegal using it on OSE?

Quote Originally Posted by klein.rfk View Post
    yeahh... it works, but, again, it is not illegal? I mean, if it a NE exclusive resource, I am illegal using it on OSE?
    Good question actually....

do you know where I can ask that on a Zimbra/Vmware official channel?

I thought this was as "official" as it gets... unless you have one of the paid support versions... but in that case you wouldn't have this problem.

Hopefully one of the Mods or Devs will chime in soon... this could potentially be a major issue for me.

Any Vmware/Zimbra developer or something here can tell that to us? If anyone tell me nothing, I will use it with Zimbra 8...

LowPass is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by klein.rfk View Post
    I'm afraid that using a NE-only feature on Zimbra OSE is not allowed. Even if it is a "minor" feature like the view mail button.

I assumes that nobody here installed the _backuprestore or _domainadmin zimlet from NE to their Zimbra OSE, simply because "hey, that's a huge feature, it's NE only! I have to pay for that!" even if the zimlet being there, right next to the "view mail" one...

As officially stated by Greg in the bugzilla (https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=77477#c3) the "View Mail" button is now an NE-only feature, and while I was disappointed myself of finding the "view mail" feature explained in the OSE docs I thinks that you can simply rely on third party softwares that don't cause you any licensing truobles (I know that the guys at Zextras added a "View Mail" button through their product, and IIRC a user on the forums was trying to do the same).

My 2 c.

EDIT: Looks like the "View Mail" button is being added back to OSE starting from Zimbra 8.0.2!
    Last edited by LowPass; 10-26-2012 at 02:12 AM.
    See ya,
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information