Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra 8 & IM

uxbod is offline Moderator

Default Zimbra 8 & IM

Have installed the beta of ZCS 8 NE and it looks fab really like the feel of it. Then I go to click on IM and its not longer there Yes, we all knew it was coming but any thoughts on what could be used to fill the gap ? Really need something that will integrate with the ZWC if its going to be a true UC platform. Well done Z dev team

mackoftrack is offline Special Member

Cool

I have been experimenting with running a full Openfire server on the same box as our ZCS server. Seems to work well, and it's way more configurable than what we had with the integrated IM. Things like groups, auto-population, etc. All sorts of cool options to play with. This is probably what we will do when ZCS 8 rolls out.

Quote Originally Posted by mackoftrack View Post
    I have been experimenting with running a full Openfire server on the same box as our ZCS server. Seems to work well, and it's way more configurable than what we had with the integrated IM. Things like groups, auto-population, etc. All sorts of cool options to play with. This is probably what we will do when ZCS 8 rolls out.
    The downside is that it would not be integrated into the ZWC .. which means a road warrior or user in a cyber cafe would not have access to it

Not necessarily. All you have to do is open the XMPP ports on your firewall. You can also set up SRV records in DNS to make your XMPP server discoverable.

bdial is offline Moderator

what he means is that if theres no longer an IM built into the web client, then a person will need to install softare on whatever computer they need to use IM on. This is a big step backward

Spot on bdial ... I was of the understanding that a revised Zimlet would be available, at some point, which would allow one to connect to a remote IM server ? Yep UC (Voice) is now included; Cisco and Mitel, but no OSS Asterisk!, and IM droppped. Great looking ZWC and Admin interface but functionality has indeed gone backwards Our client base would not be happy if we upgrade to ZCS 8 as they love the IM feature and all use it daily in their work.

I don't like the fact that they are pulling the IM server either, but I've been so frustrated with how they've implemented it that I'm ready for it to go. There have been bug requests to enable auto-population of 'buddies' for years. I mean c'mon! That should be a given. And the tiny IM window in the Webmail is hardly usable. Most of my users don't even know it's there. There are plenty of Web-based XMPP options out there, you just need to get creative.

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

"IM will be removed in next major release".. the moment has come.

However, as discussed in Zimbra plan with IM among other threads, we had some expectations about keeping the IM client component in ZWC.

ccelis

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    "IM will be removed in next major release".. the moment has come.

However, as discussed in Zimbra plan with IM among other threads, we had some expectations about keeping the IM client component in ZWC.
    Who has said it won't be there? This is a beta and not necessarily feature complete.and ZCS 8 is be an ongoing development, did you check the comments in the bug reports in your linked thread?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jdybik is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by mackoftrack View Post
    I don't like the fact that they are pulling the IM server either, but I've been so frustrated with how they've implemented it that I'm ready for it to go. There have been bug requests to enable auto-population of 'buddies' for years. I mean c'mon! That should be a given. And the tiny IM window in the Webmail is hardly usable. Most of my users don't even know it's there. There are plenty of Web-based XMPP options out there, you just need to get creative.
    Could not have said it better myself. This is exactly why we pulled it out. It was beta and we were not prepared to take on doing both the server and the client aspects of this right. Now that we have partners in the UC space who bring the IM server components and will work with us on APIs to build a scalable integration into our web client, this is definitely on the roadmap. We want it too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information