Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Zimbra 8 & IM

  1. #1
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Zimbra 8 & IM

    Have installed the beta of ZCS 8 NE and it looks fab really like the feel of it. Then I go to click on IM and its not longer there Yes, we all knew it was coming but any thoughts on what could be used to fill the gap ? Really need something that will integrate with the ZWC if its going to be a true UC platform. Well done Z dev team

  2. #2
    mackoftrack's Avatar
    mackoftrack is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    6

    Cool

    I have been experimenting with running a full Openfire server on the same box as our ZCS server. Seems to work well, and it's way more configurable than what we had with the integrated IM. Things like groups, auto-population, etc. All sorts of cool options to play with. This is probably what we will do when ZCS 8 rolls out.

  3. #3
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mackoftrack View Post
    I have been experimenting with running a full Openfire server on the same box as our ZCS server. Seems to work well, and it's way more configurable than what we had with the integrated IM. Things like groups, auto-population, etc. All sorts of cool options to play with. This is probably what we will do when ZCS 8 rolls out.
    The downside is that it would not be integrated into the ZWC .. which means a road warrior or user in a cyber cafe would not have access to it

  4. #4
    mackoftrack's Avatar
    mackoftrack is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Not necessarily. All you have to do is open the XMPP ports on your firewall. You can also set up SRV records in DNS to make your XMPP server discoverable.

  5. #5
    bdial's Avatar
    bdial is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    what he means is that if theres no longer an IM built into the web client, then a person will need to install softare on whatever computer they need to use IM on. This is a big step backward

  6. #6
    uxbod's Avatar
    uxbod is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Spot on bdial ... I was of the understanding that a revised Zimlet would be available, at some point, which would allow one to connect to a remote IM server ? Yep UC (Voice) is now included; Cisco and Mitel, but no OSS Asterisk!, and IM droppped. Great looking ZWC and Admin interface but functionality has indeed gone backwards Our client base would not be happy if we upgrade to ZCS 8 as they love the IM feature and all use it daily in their work.

  7. #7
    mackoftrack's Avatar
    mackoftrack is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I don't like the fact that they are pulling the IM server either, but I've been so frustrated with how they've implemented it that I'm ready for it to go. There have been bug requests to enable auto-population of 'buddies' for years. I mean c'mon! That should be a given. And the tiny IM window in the Webmail is hardly usable. Most of my users don't even know it's there. There are plenty of Web-based XMPP options out there, you just need to get creative.

  8. #8
    ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Caracas Venezuela
    Posts
    470
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    "IM will be removed in next major release".. the moment has come.

    However, as discussed in Zimbra plan with IM among other threads, we had some expectations about keeping the IM client component in ZWC.

    ccelis

  9. #9
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,568
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    "IM will be removed in next major release".. the moment has come.

    However, as discussed in Zimbra plan with IM among other threads, we had some expectations about keeping the IM client component in ZWC.
    Who has said it won't be there? This is a beta and not necessarily feature complete.and ZCS 8 is be an ongoing development, did you check the comments in the bug reports in your linked thread?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  10. #10
    jdybik is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mackoftrack View Post
    I don't like the fact that they are pulling the IM server either, but I've been so frustrated with how they've implemented it that I'm ready for it to go. There have been bug requests to enable auto-population of 'buddies' for years. I mean c'mon! That should be a given. And the tiny IM window in the Webmail is hardly usable. Most of my users don't even know it's there. There are plenty of Web-based XMPP options out there, you just need to get creative.
    Could not have said it better myself. This is exactly why we pulled it out. It was beta and we were not prepared to take on doing both the server and the client aspects of this right. Now that we have partners in the UC space who bring the IM server components and will work with us on APIs to build a scalable integration into our web client, this is definitely on the roadmap. We want it too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •