Thread: Recovering from disaster

rojanu is offline Member

Default Recovering from disaster

I have been given a task to merge two zimbra servers but a while back the live server had crashed and lots of emails was lost, so third paty company recovered the emails (don't know if all) in a flat structure on a Zimbra 7.14 Open Source and the Live server is a 6.0.6 Network Edition and it has lots and lots of blob errors.

My task is to merge both servers together and upgrade to latest Network Edition and provide a robust disaster recovery as well as a backup of individual mailboxes.

I have already tried to use imapsync to sync messages from live zimbra to recovered and the process errors out, I assume when it hits blob error.

Any idea/lead is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    rojanu

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rojanu View Post
    I have been given a task to merge two zimbra servers but a while back the live server had crashed and lots of emails was lost, so third paty company recovered the emails (don't know if all) in a flat structure on a Zimbra 7.14 Open Source and the Live server is a 6.0.6 Network Edition and it has lots and lots of blob errors.

My task is to merge both servers together and upgrade to latest Network Edition and provide a robust disaster recovery as well as a backup of individual mailboxes.

I have already tried to use imapsync to sync messages from live zimbra to recovered and the process errors out, I assume when it hits blob error.

Any idea/lead is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    rojanu
    Whenever we are asked to help recover data from crippled Zimbra servers like this our preference is to use a fat client like Outlook to get the email, contacts and calendars into a PST and then import the PST into the new Zimbra server. You lose the sharing but the data comes over as clean and consistent. And if you have a lot of mailboxes it's very labor intensive.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information