Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra Help.

xlr8nut is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra Help.

Good Morning everyone, I have just couple of questions and I would really appreciate your help and support.

The person who use to manage Zimbra server is fired. I'm a system admin but never worked with zimbra servers.

I am logged in-to the Zimbra server under root over putty. I changed user to zimbra su – zimbra.

What do I do now? How do I view all users? How to change/edit users, passwords, etc? How to view admin panel?

Thank You so much in advance guys!

Version: Release 4.5.4_GA_763.RHEL4_20070323121238 RHEL4 NETWORK edition

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8nut View Post
    Good Morning everyone, I have just couple of questions and I would really appreciate your help and support.

The person who use to manage Zimbra server is fired. I'm a system admin but never worked with zimbra servers.

I am logged in-to the Zimbra server under root over putty. I changed user to zimbra su – zimbra.

What do I do now? How do I view all users? How to change/edit users, passwords, etc? How to view admin panel?
    You get to the Admin UI by using a web browser with the follow format address: https://fqdn.yourserver.com:7071 - you login with the Admin (usernname) and the password. If you don't know the password you should change it with the command in this article (you should change it anyway). When you login to the Admin UI you can do most of the Administration from there, if you want to use the command line then I'd suggest you read the Admin Guide, click on the "Help Desk" in the top-right of the Admin UI for the Documentation page.

You should put the following information in your forum profile and I'd suggest as a matter of urgency you upgrade to a more recent release of Zimbra (there have been some security updates to the product).

Code:
    Version: Release 4.5.4_GA_763.RHEL4_20070323121238 RHEL4 NETWORK edition
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

chauvetp is offline Elite Member

You will probably want to use the WebUI for most tasks:
    https://your-zimbra-server:7071

I highly recommend looking through the Administrator's guides. The URL below has all the documentation links:
    Documentation for the open source Zimbra Collaboration Suite; email, contacts, and group calendaring

If you're still on version 4.x you are WAY behind. You may want to update that (after appropriate testing) to a much more recent version, as well as looking into some Zimbra admin training.
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Thank you so much guys, how do I identify admin username? How do I reset the password? I can't access https://myzimbraserver.com:7071

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I thought I'd already answered that, the username is "Admin".
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I thought I'd already answered that, the username is "Admin".
    Okay Thank You for that. What you think about not being able to access 7071. Might there be a different link?

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8nut View Post
    Okay Thank You for that. What you think about not being able to access 7071. Might there be a different link?
    The Admin Console is always on that port. The default administrator account name as Phoenix pointed out is "Admin" but there may be others.

To get them, as the Zimbra user you can run from a commandline:

Code:
    zmprov -l gaaa
    "zmprov" is the Zimbra Provisioning command. "-l" means to "use LDAP" and "gaaa" means "Get All Admin Accounts"

Some Zimbra admins do not open port 7071 beyond the network on which the Zimbra server is domiciled. Your inability to get to port 7071 may be just a firewall issue.

As others have said, as a newbie to Zimbra making changes only via the Admin Console is highly recommended. Also, as the 4.x series has for years been discontinued, I would recommend getting to a newer 6.xx or 7.xx version to get the benefit of security and feature updates as soon as practicable.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    The Admin Console is always on that port. The default administrator account name as Phoenix pointed out is "Admin" but there may be others.

To get them, as the Zimbra user you can run from a commandline:

Code:
    zmprov -l gaaa
    "zmprov" is the Zimbra Provisioning command. "-l" means to "use LDAP" and "gaaa" means "Get All Admin Accounts"

Some Zimbra admins do not open port 7071 beyond the network on which the Zimbra server is domiciled. Your inability to get to port 7071 may be just a firewall issue.

As others have said, as a newbie to Zimbra making changes only via the Admin Console is highly recommended. Also, as the 4.x series has for years been discontinued, I would recommend getting to a newer 6.xx or 7.xx version to get the benefit of security and feature updates as soon as practicable.

Hope that helps,
    Mark
    wow that you so much that was an amazing answer and now can see which account is set as admin. Now how would I open up a firewall on zimbra server? Sorry for so many questions and thank you so much for support. It's really great to have such an amazing forum with very knowledgeable people.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Zimbra do not recommend running a firewall on the Zimbra server itself. Most common is there is a firewall device on your network and the Zimbra server is in a firewall zone.

You mentioned Putty so I presume you are on a Windows machine. If so, open up a command prompt and type "telnet <IP of Zimbra Server> 7071" and if you get a response then the Admin console should work from IE/Firefox on your Windows machine. If not, try changing the port in the telnet command to 25; if you get no response the Zimbra server may not be running correctly, OR, you have a bigger firewall/networking issue.

Keep us posted!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Zimbra do not recommend running a firewall on the Zimbra server itself. Most common is there is a firewall device on your network and the Zimbra server is in a firewall zone.

You mentioned Putty so I presume you are on a Windows machine. If so, open up a command prompt and type "telnet <IP of Zimbra Server> 7071" and if you get a response then the Admin console should work from IE/Firefox on your Windows machine. If not, try changing the port in the telnet command to 25; if you get no response the Zimbra server may not be running correctly, OR, you have a bigger firewall/networking issue.

Keep us posted!
    Mark
    If I go to Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router and enter server IP and type port 7071, it says that the port is open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information