Thread: Zibra's anti-spam makes users suspicious

gdseas is offline Junior Member

Default Zibra's anti-spam makes users suspicious

Hello all,
    We recently migrated from anti-spam, mail client-based protected hell (Thunderbird-based spam filtering) to Zimbra Open Source Edition.
    The results are wonderful. It seems that zmtrainsa does a great job and my users ---who are very well trained to mark messages as Junk with Thunderbird now see significantly less spam arriving to their mailbox.

However, now my users are ...suspicious. They are worried that Zimbra's default anti-spam is blocking legit messages that never arrive on their mailbox.

Is there a way for users see what was blocked coming to their account?
    Is there a way for me as the admin to see what was being blocked?

Thank you for your help!

haxxess is offline Member

What connection method do your users use?
    POP, IMAP or Webmail?
    I know you can log into the webmail interface and check the "Junk" folder for any false positives.
    IMAP connection from memory will also sync the Junk folder so im guessing you might be using POP.
    The easiest process for end users would be to check via webmail

Quote Originally Posted by haxxess View Post
    What connection method do your users use?
    POP, IMAP or Webmail?
    I know you can log into the webmail interface and check the "Junk" folder for any false positives.
    IMAP connection from memory will also sync the Junk folder so im guessing you might be using POP.
    The easiest process for end users would be to check via webmail
    They connect with IMAP and we see a dramatically reduced amount of spam automatically going into the Junk folder and/or the Inbox. In fact I was just reviewing the daily admin report, 69% of messages were discarded! That is great but my users (and if not them at least I) wish to at least see what these messages are....

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gdseas View Post
    That is great but my users (and if not them at least I) wish to at least see what these messages are....
    You can't see messages that have been discarded, they're not even on the server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You can't see messages that have been discarded, they're not even on the server.
    Thank you, is there an alternative (ex. route those to be discarded in a fake mailbox) or a more clever approach? For now I have just made the percentages 33%-100% so all messages should not be discarded but delivered to the user Junk mail folder but I am not sure it is a viable permanent solution.

I admit that my past experience with one of these dedicated, spam filtering appliances (Barracuda) and the amount of false positives make me uneasy -- but I don't t share this with my user base

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gdseas View Post
    I admit that my past experience with one of these dedicated, spam filtering appliances (Barracuda) and the amount of false positives make me uneasy -- but I don't t share this with my user base
    The likelihood of the discarded messages being false positives is negligible and they will almost certainly be rejected because they've failed one of the tests (or an RBL test if you have them enabled) in the anti-spam system. Mail that doesn't get discarded and may possibly be spam will end up in the Junk folder and the user can check that to see if it's a false positive and mark it as "not Spam". Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless a user can specifically point to an email that's 'missing' - check the IP addresses that get rejected (you'll see them in the log files) and you'll see if any of them are from accounts and/or mail servers that you know.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The likelihood of the discarded messages being false positives is negligible and they will almost certainly be rejected because they've failed one of the tests (or an RBL test if you have them enabled) in the anti-spam system. Mail that doesn't get discarded and may possibly be spam will end up in the Junk folder and the user can check that to see if it's a false positive and mark it as "not Spam". Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless a user can specifically point to an email that's 'missing' - check the IP addresses that get rejected (you'll see them in the log files) and you'll see if any of them are from accounts and/or mail servers that you know.
    Thank you, I will try it! I have seen no false positives yet so things are good.

Thanks a bunch!

Thread Information