Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to recover deleted emails?

tezarin is offline Senior Member

Default How to recover deleted emails?

Hi,

I am looking for a way to recover all the deleted emails for June2011-September2011. Is there any way to look up inside the /opt/zimbra and get all the emails someone sent/received even if that someone has deleted them from the GUI?

Thanks,
    t

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tezarin View Post
    I am looking for a way to recover all the deleted emails for June2011-September2011. Is there any way to look up inside the /opt/zimbra and get all the emails someone sent/received even if that someone has deleted them from the GUI?
    If the email has been deleted then the answer to your question is no. Deleted email is moved to the Trash folder and that is purged based on the number of days set in the Admin UI.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    If the email has been deleted then the answer to your question is no. Deleted email is moved to the Trash folder and that is purged based on the number of days set in the Admin UI.
    Got it, thanks. What about just getting the entire mailbox copied over to a hard drive or something?

Got it, thanks. What about just getting the entire mailbox copied over to a hard drive or something?
    No, once they're deleted (either purged from the Trash folder or the user deletes it from Trash) they are removed from the file system - I'm assuming you don't have a backup for this period?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No, once they're deleted (either purged from the Trash folder or the user deletes it from Trash) they are removed from the file system - I'm assuming you don't have a backup for this period?
    Understood, I meant the rest of the emails. You know, the ones that never deleted and are in fact sitting in the mailbox. Is there a way I could get those backed up in a folder (just that period of time).

Understood, I meant the rest of the emails. You know, the ones that never deleted and are in fact sitting in the mailbox. Is there a way I could get those backed up in a folder (just that period of time).
    Sorry, I misunderstood your question. There is actually a script in the forums that will do an individual mailbox backup/restore, take a look at these:

mailbox backup & restore on open source version
    [SOLVED] Yet Another Backup Script for Community Version

There are also other scripts in the wiki (and possibly the forums) that might suite your purpose. If it's important that you have access to old emails then you might want to consider using the always_bcc option, Legal Intercept or some form of archiving solution (there's a couple of free ones mentioned in the forums IIRC) - have a search for any of those topics.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks much, I thought there was a software which would let users to download the entire inbox and then open them in Outlook, is that still available?

Thanks much, I thought there was a software which would let users to download the entire inbox and then open them in Outlook, is that still available?
    Not that I know of but if you want to use Outlook as a client you can do that by just connecting as an IMAP client, you could always use Zimbra Desktop to access the mailbox (it will download all the email) and export it (or backup the account from the UI).
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-06-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks much Bill. Will install Zimbra desktop and go from there.

Blaire28 is offline Starter Member

Actually the email program doesn't delete the email or emails to the Recycle Bin, but rather empties its own internal trash or Recycle Bin. Please make sure that you have opened and read it on your computer, the reason is that the message is cached to your computer and can be recovered as a HTML page. According to your situation, since the emails had been deleted a long time ago, you may need the data recovery software to recover your deleted emails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information