Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: postfix/postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

misterg73 is offline Junior Member

Default postfix/postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

[/B]Today, my server stop sending and recevig e-mails. Everything seems ok with zmcontrol status, but there is no service on port 25. I restarted, rebooted, executed zmfiperms --extended, upgraded from 6.0.10 to 6.0.16, everyting today. My problem is still here.
    When I send an e-mail, an essor says me: Try again: Unable to connect to the MTA!

In /var/log/zimbra.log there is only this line about postfix:

-May 23 00:32:08 server sudo: zimbra : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/dati/zimbra ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtastatus
    -May 22 22:32:30 server postfix/postqueue[13934]: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

You can see that time in postfix line is different from previous line, but i don't know why.
    The hosts file seems to be correct, MX point to my server (as until today).

Can anyone help me please??

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by misterg73 View Post
    [/B]-May 23 00:32:08 server sudo: zimbra : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/dati/zimbra ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtastatus
    -May 22 22:32:30 server postfix/postqueue[13934]: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down
    There's a total lack of information about your ZCS installation in your post, no version/release, whether it's a new install or upgrade, whether any updates have been done on your server, whether all of the services are running, how long the server has been installed etc., etc., etc. You've also not mentioned which of the many forum threads (and solutions) or wiki articles you've read on this subject and if any of the solutions worked. Has your server been installed for more than twelve months and if it has have you tried regenerating the certificates.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Sorry, I was very sleepy...
    I have SLES 11 x64, originally with zcs 6.0.10, now, after the upgrade I tried to solve the problem, zcs 6.0.16.
    Yes, first of all I tried regenerating the certificates, but with no luck. The server was up for the past two years, with no problem. I googoled for the problem and I have tried everyting: fix permissions (with zmfixperms, postfix set-permissions and manually), regeneration of certificates, increase zimbra and postfix loglevel, etc.. The symptoms are that we have when there is another mail service running on port 25, but I don't have anything on port 25 and postfix doesn't say anything about resource busy; it simply doesn't want to start!

Other than saying 'it doesn't work' you'll need to provide some evidence about the state of the services, whether there is (or isn't) anything running on port 25 and what errors you see in the log files when you start ZCS (other than the out-of-context ) snippet you've provided above.
    Regards

Bill

Atteched you can find extract from my zimbra.log. As you can see, there are poor information about postfix, logged with a wrong time (I don't know why)

This is my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.1 server.xxxxxx.it server
    yy.yy.yy.yy server.xxxxxx.it server

the command:
    fuser 25/tcp
    doesn't give output (no process on port 25)
    Attached Files Attached Files

zimbra@server:/root> zmcontrol status
    Host server.xxxxxx.it
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running
    zimbra@server:/root>

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.1 server.xxxxxx.it server
    The hosts file is incorrect you need to remove the last line that has "yy.yy.yy.yy" as the IP (I assumes that's your public IP?). Your loopback entry is also incorrect, go to the wiki article and see what the correct format is and run all the commands in the 'Verify....' section to check your configuration is correct.
    Regards

Bill

LMStone is offline Moderator

[/B]Today, my server stop sending and recevig e-mails. Everything seems ok with zmcontrol status, but there is no service on port 25. I restarted, rebooted, executed zmfiperms --extended, upgraded from 6.0.10 to 6.0.16, everyting today. My problem is still here.
    When I send an e-mail, an essor says me: Try again: Unable to connect to the MTA!

In /var/log/zimbra.log there is only this line about postfix:

-May 23 00:32:08 server sudo: zimbra : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/dati/zimbra ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmtastatus

You can see that time in postfix line is different from previous line, but i don't know why.
    The hosts file seems to be correct, MX point to my server (as until today).

Can anyone help me please??
    Fixing /etc/hosts as Bill mentioned is required but time jumping backwards in the logs is something else.

How does this server sync its time clock? Please be very specific.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Fixing /etc/hosts as Bill mentioned is required but time jumping backwards in the logs is something else.

How does this server sync its time clock? Please be very specific.
    In This server the sync time deamon is turned off, I use the hardware time only.
    I have the
    entry in my hosts file because the box is attached to two network (private and pubblic one). However, Zimbra worked fine for past two years with this hosts file...

I think I have find a solution:
    In the last two days I have make a fresh installation on a new box with same distro, packages, configuration and Zimbra version.
    The second dox, that have the same hosts file that i posted below, works fine.
    Than i started matching Zimbra files between two box. I find out that there was master.pid file in

/opt/zimbra/data/postfix/spool/pid

even if postfix wasn't running.
    I deleted the file and everyting restart.

It's possible that there is no check in Zimbra startup process for wrong pid files?

This solution solved also the time problem: now, as you can see, all timestamp are correct:

May 28 11:02:37 server postfix/smtp[27021]: C6187455B56: to=<xx@xx.it>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=32, delays=0.32/0/0/31, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok, id=31387-20, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4654F4547B4)
    May 28 11:02:37 server postfix/qmgr[32296]: C6187455B56: removed
    May 28 11:02:37 server postfix/lmtp[27852]: 4654F4547B4: to=<xx@xx.it>, relay=xx.xx.it[yy.yy.yy.yy]:7025, delay=0.43, delays=0.09/0/0.04/0.29, dsn=2.1.5, status=sent (250 2.1.5 Delivery OK)
    May 28 11:02:37 server postfix/qmgr[32296]: 4654F4547B4: removed
    May 28 11:04:08 server sudo: zimbra : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/dati/zimbra ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmmailboxdmgr status
    May 28 11:04:08 server zmmailboxdmgr[29978]: status requested
    May 28 11:04:08 server zmmailboxdmgr[29978]: status OK

thanks all you for your help!

LMStone is offline Moderator

Please can you answer a few questions?

First, is this server a virtual server or a physical server?

Second, can you post the contents of /etc/fstab showing the mount point(s) for all Zimbra directories?

Third, is the server's storage for the Zimbra directories on local disk or on a network file system?

We have a client with a similar issue and have some ideas...

Thanks,
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information