Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra wrong return-path with persona

matteomacchi is offline New Member

Default Zimbra wrong return-path with persona

Hi all,

I'm using zimbra with persona, and I send lots of mail with the identity of persona. But, since I updated
    the last release (7.2 OSS) I see in return-path the email address of default account, and not the mail address of persona,
    even if I have set 'zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom', for account and for COS, to FALSE.
    Is there anyone that experiences the same problem?
    Thanks in advance

gvillari is offline Trained Alumni

I have experienced the same problem after upgrade to zimbra 7.2 OSS.
    Do I have to submit a bug report on bugzilla? Does anyone have seen this issue in the last releas?

Code:
    [zimbra@store root]$ zmprov gc default zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom
    # name default
    zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom: FALSE
    Code:
    zmprov ga user@domain.com zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom
    # name user@domain.com
    zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom: FALSE
    Thanks
    Regards
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-17-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: fixed tags

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

msmcknight is offline Senior Member

I have run into the same problem....

There was no problem with this in 6.0.6 so something changed since then.

When upgrading from (FOSS) 6.0.6 to 7.2.0 with patch 1 (7.2.0_P1) the postfix_header_check and the value of zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom are being ignored.

From what I've gathered, the default setting of zimbraMtaBlockedExtensionWarnRecipient=TRUE causes the header_check to be skipped and this seems to conflict with what zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom is supposed to do.

When I upgraded, I noticed inconsistent behavior when sending mail as personas and/or child accounts from a parent account. In some cases, the "Sender" header would be stripped, but in other cases, it would not. I could not find any rhyme-or-reason for it.

The solution was a bit convoluted, but so far, it seems to work....

As the zimbra user (ie. su - zimbra):

1. Set zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom=FALSE on the COS's or accounts as desired using zmprov.
    ie. zmprov mc my_cos zimbraSmtpRestrictEnvelopeFrom FALSE

2. Add:
    /^Sender: / IGNORE
    to
    /opt/zimbra/conf/postfix_header_checks.in

3. zmprov mcf zimbraMtaBlockedExtensionWarnRecipient FALSE

4. zmmtactl restart

I'm not sure how something that was working so well got messed up, but this is a major issue for those of us using aliases/personas to send emails as a consolidated address (ie. support@mycompany.com). We can't have the actual users real addresses getting into the wild.

P.S. Phoenix, I think you may referred to the wrong bug as I think the problem is a bit deeper. It's not just user confusion, it's broken functionality. Plus, you cannot set "return-path" in the persona settings as mentioned in the bug description. At least not from what I can see. You can set the "From" field, but that is in the email body, not the header and it's the "Sender" and "Return-Path" in the envelope that's killing us.

Is there a better bug report out there or can we open a new one that better describes the issue? I'm not even sure I know how to describe it, I just fumbled my way around it for now!

See also the following thread:
    :( Postfix header_checks doesn't work

Thanks,
    -Michael

This is even stranger....

It looks like if I send from a parent account as a child account (ie account type = zimbra rather than account type = persona), it is still adding a Return-Path = the parent account name. It's stripping out the "Sender" header, but writing the Return-Path with the users actual real address instead of that of the alias.

What did they do to mess this up so bad?

I'm guessing if I strip out the Return-Path, all hell will break loose, but how can I get this to work with child accounts?

Another change... in 6.0.6 when I sent an email from a parent account, as any child account or persona, the sent message went into the Sent folder of the parent account. Now, when I send an email as any of the child accounts, the message goes into their Sent folder.

This is a bit frustrating... it all worked so perfectly under 6.0.6 and now it's all a mess.

It looks like it might be (Bug 47518 – discrepancy in return-path when sending on behalf of other user) but I'm hoping there's a work-around or something I can do. Having users real addresses in the email headers is a problem for us.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Michael

More odd behavior...

Given the scenarios in my previous postings, I just noticed that if I am logged in as a parent account, but I reply to an existing email addressed to a child account, as that child account, the headers are written correctly. But, if I try to create a new email, the header return-path contains the actual user and not the alias/child.

More consequences of this mess...

It looks like SMS-to-Email gateways are using the return-path for returning the SMS email responses. For example, if I send an email to XXX@vtext.com (the verizon wireless email-to-sms gateway) and the recipient responds using the texting function on their phone, the reply is sent to the address listed in the return-path rather than to the address listed in the from: field.

So, sending an email via SMS as a persona/child account isn't just an inconvenience, it's actually disrupting the message exchange.

A fix would really be nice for this since so many people use personas and child accounts to direct emails to/from various addresses.

Thanks,
    -Michael

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by msmcknight View Post
    I doubt that bug report will receive much interest, the parent/child mailbox feature has been removed from ZCS 8 onwards.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hmmm. What is their proposed replacement functionality? How else can we view multiple accounts at the same time from within the web client?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information