Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from single to multi-domain setup questions

yonatan is offline Special Member

Default Moving from single to multi-domain setup questions

I've got a single Zimbra server with one domain working fine. The time has come to add several new domains to this server and I want to make sure I understand the necessary configuration and implications.

Btw I read this thread where a user asks many of the things I want to know, but not all the questions were answered.

In order to keep things clear the server is behind NAT with split-dns configured and the current domain is example.com. I want to add a second domain example2.com and it is important that the domains are completely separate. I will be the only admin of the server and domains.

1. Creating a new domain is as simple as going to the admin console and under Domains going through the "New Domain" wizard, right?

2. Is example2.com completely separate from example.com, e.g. SPAM, HAM, admin, wiki accounts, GAL?

3. External DNS: I create an MX record for zcs.example2.com and an A record for the IP address of the server just as I did for the first domain?

4. Internal Split-DNS: I modify, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf to add example2.com. Also, make changes to bind to add a DNS zone /etc/bind/named.conf.local and /etc/bind/db.example2.com.

5. SSL certificate: Right now have a self-signed cert for example.com, but looking at the wiki and some other threads I need to create a new cert for example2.com, so that the right cert is loaded depending on which domain accesses webmail and imaps.

6. Will emails that originate from example2.com show any signs in the header or otherwise of coming from server zcs.example.com. Is it better to get a third domain name that is solely used as the default domain or is this pointless?

7. Do I need to install the proxy?

8. I'm not clear on virtual hosts, but is this required or recommended for multiple domains on a single server?

I don't know if there are any other things to consider before I add domains, so please let me know.

Thanks

LHammonds is offline Special Member

From your profile info, it looks like you are running the open source edition...not the pay-for Network Edition.

My understanding is that you can only manage one domain per server when running the free open source edition.

The Network Edition however can manage as many domains as you want and will keep things separate. My ISP runs Zimbra and acts as a mail provider for businesses and home users and they most-certainly keep things separate.

LHammonds
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    My understanding is that you can only manage one domain per server when running the free open source edition.
    You can manage any number of domains on a Zimbra server and you can have any number of Administrators on that server. What you cannot do on the Open Source version is have a delegated Administrator to manage a single specific domain, each Administrator will have full access to all of the domains.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You can manage any number of domains on a Zimbra server and you can have any number of Administrators on that server. What you cannot do on the Open Source version is have a delegated Administrator to manage a single specific domain, each Administrator will have full access to all of the domains.
    Yes I'm fully aware of this. What about my questions above, please?

LHammonds is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Thank you for the correction. This is good info to know. I will be looking into adding another domain we have but are not utilizing yet...might even transition from old domain to the new domain.
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

Please can someone help me out with my questions. As simple as they might be to someone other than me, I'm sure others would benefit. I can make it into a wiki

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yonatan View Post
    I've got a single Zimbra server with one domain working fine. The time has come to add several new domains to this server and I want to make sure I understand the necessary configuration and implications.

Btw I read this thread where a user asks many of the things I want to know, but not all the questions were answered.

In order to keep things clear the server is behind NAT with split-dns configured and the current domain is example.com. I want to add a second domain example2.com and it is important that the domains are completely separate. I will be the only admin of the server and domains.

1. Creating a new domain is as simple as going to the admin console and under Domains going through the "New Domain" wizard, right?
    Yes, that's all you do to create another domain to be hosted on the Zimbra server.

2. Is example2.com completely separate from example.com, e.g. SPAM, HAM, admin, wiki accounts, GAL?
    Almost. Spam and Ham accounts are system-wide but are hidden from all users. All the other attributes you mention are domain-specific.

3. External DNS: I create an MX record for zcs.example2.com and an A record for the IP address of the server just as I did for the first domain?
    If the Zimbra server lives in public DNS as zcs.example.com all you need to do is change the public MX record for example2.com to be zcs.example.com. Just so long as the Zimbra server can resolve itself in private DNS you are OK; you don't need to create a new zone file on your private network for every domain you want to host on your Zimbra server.

4. Internal Split-DNS: I modify, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf to add example2.com. Also, make changes to bind to add a DNS zone /etc/bind/named.conf.local and /etc/bind/db.example2.com.
    Nope. Not needed.

5. SSL certificate: Right now have a self-signed cert for example.com, but looking at the wiki and some other threads I need to create a new cert for example2.com, so that the right cert is loaded depending on which domain accesses webmail and imaps.
    The easy thing with a single Zimbra server is to have users at example2.com get their mail at https://zcs.example.com.

6. Will emails that originate from example2.com show any signs in the header or otherwise of coming from server zcs.example.com. Is it better to get a third domain name that is solely used as the default domain or is this pointless?
    Yes they will, because the server zcs.example.com is the MX for the example2.com domain.

7. Do I need to install the proxy?
    You should not install the proxy on a single server. It is meant for an installation with multiple mailbox servers so all users can go to one web site regardless of the mailbox server on which their mailbox is domiciled.

8. I'm not clear on virtual hosts, but is this required or recommended for multiple domains on a single server?
    It doesn't hurt as it means the Zimbra server will answer queries for e.g. vhost.example2.com although the users will be prompted to accept the SSL certificate which belongs to zcs.example.com the first time they connect.

There is a bugzilla request for enhancement to allow Zimbra to host multiple SSL certificates. I do not know the status of this bug since we do not do this nor do our clients need this, but of course it would be helpful to you as it would be simpler than deploying a proxy system.

Hope that helps!
    Mark

Mark thanks for coming to my rescue

I have some follow up questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    Almost. Spam and Ham accounts are system-wide but are hidden from all users. All the other attributes you mention are domain-specific.
    So if a user in example.com flags an email as spam/ ham it not only applies to that domain, but also example2.com and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    3. If the Zimbra server lives in public DNS as zcs.example.com all you need to do is change the public MX record for example2.com to be zcs.example.com. Just so long as the Zimbra server can resolve itself in private DNS you are OK; you don't need to create a new zone file on your private network for every domain you want to host on your Zimbra server.

4. Nope. Not needed.

5. The easy thing with a single Zimbra server is to have users at example2.com get their mail at https://zcs.example.com.

6. Yes they will, because the server zcs.example.com is the MX for the example2.com domain.
    Regarding these points I wonder if I should get a new domain name, e.g. myzimbraserver.com that becomes the default domain and is only used to "host" the server. My reasoning is that this way users on example2.com don't need to know that example.com is hosted on the same server and that emails originate from that domain.

Alternatively, will changing the public MX record for example2.com to zcs.example2.com and creating a new private DNS zone work? This might take a little longer to do, but unless this is bad practice then I don't mind.

Thanks

I've gone through about 14 pages of google search results for the Zimbra forums relating to multi-domain setups.

The posts I've read discuss two ways of configuring a Zimbra server to handle more than one domain. One approach uses the default (or first domain) as the mx record for all further domains. I guess this is similar to how hosting companies work in that you point your domain to google apps or whatever it is.

With the second method you configure both the public and private DNS records to reflect the new domains. In contrast to the previous approach, each domain looks as if it "lives" on its own email server.

Help me decide what to do.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The posts I've read discuss two ways of configuring a Zimbra server to handle more than one domain.
    There is only one way to configure multiple domains on a mail server, you need to have MX & A records pointing to your servers IP address.

One approach uses the default (or first domain) as the mx record for all further domains. I guess this is similar to how hosting companies work in that you point your domain to google apps or whatever it is.
    That will only get you mail for that domain.

With the second method you configure both the public and private DNS records to reflect the new domains. In contrast to the previous approach, each domain looks as if it "lives" on its own email server.
    The only reason for configuring additional internal DNS records (apart from the primary domain) for a mail server is if the users on that LAN access the web UI by the domain name for their mail.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information