Thread: zwc search omits most recent mails

CrypTom is offline Project Contributor

Default zwc search omits most recent mails

Hi all

Our zimbra webclient does not list mails written/received during the last two weeks when using the search form. I've tested this issue on several accounts with the same result:

- Choose a mail you see in the list of mails
    - Enter this mail's subject (or part of it) in the search field
    - The email is listed only in the search results, if the mail is older than about two weeks

I haven't performed any updates during the last 5 weeks.

I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything related. Any ideas?

Regards
    Tom

bdial is offline Moderator

i cant' replicate it on 7.1.4p1. Put a bit of the subject of a mail i just received in the search bar and it showed that mail in the search results

you might want to go to preferences -> general and select the option to show advanced search dialogue in the search bar and make sure no strange date strings are in by default

Thanks for your suggestions. I've checked the advanced search options (and the advanced search language option you specified). Nothing special was set, so unfortunately the problem is still there.

This morning I've applied the 7.1.4 Patch 1, no change.

I did some more testing:
    When I use the advanced search bar and search for mails
    Code:
    after:"4/10/12"
    then I get them all listed, but as soon as I enter a subject (or part of it) and hit enter, no results are shown. The same happens when I fill out other fields of the basic search form (from, content, to or cc).

The other search boxes (folders, size, status, etc.) work as expected as long as I dont enter anything in the basic search form.

As soon as I search for mails older than 2 or 3 weeks, the basic search form works as expected.

CrypTom

Hi all

The problem as described in my last post still persists. In the meantime I've updated to the latest 7.2.0 (patch 2681). The problem exists for all zimbra accounts that have been created before some date in March 2012. My assumption (that only mail from the last 3 weeks is not shown) was not correct. There seems to be same magic date in March 2012 even though I didn't do any maintenance task (Zimbra update or similar) in March.

The accounts affected don't show mails that have arrived since March 2012 when searching either
    - when using basic search or
    - when using the extended search and filling out any of the fields in the basic search box

Seems like mail indexing stopped on accounts older than March 2012. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Regards,
    CrypTom

justinjereza is offline Junior Member

Have you checked /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log for possible indexing failures regarding that mailbox? You may want to try reindexing the mailbox if you haven't already done so.

Yes, I've tried reindexing. But the indexing procedure completed too fast for my huge mailbox so I checked the logs and found Java Exceptions. The exceptions seem to be thrown when zimbra tries to index attachments. That brought me to forum entries about convertd that might not be running. And in my case, convertd it not even installed. As convertd is a network edition only feature, I haven't used it before upgrading to the network edition last February. And I didn't think about installing it while upgrading. I will try to install convertd tonight when our users a not connected and then report if that helped. Thanks for your reply, justinjereza.

Thread Information