Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra license - will it expire?

tezarin is offline Senior Member

Default Zimbra license - will it expire?

Hi,

I have a server which has "Release 5.0.8_GA_2462.RHEL5_64_20080709164104 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition" installed on it. About five months ago, I came across a file somewhere which had written something about the license that expired in June 2011 and that it was renewed for a year.

Now, I can't remember the name of the above file and I'm getting worried that the license expires in June. The previous IT person never shared the info regarding the server version (if he paid for it or not). Can someone please help me find out the info and make sure the server doesn't stop working?

Thanks in advance

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tezarin View Post
    Now, I can't remember the name of the above file and I'm getting worried that the license expires in June.
    According to the version information you've posted above, you're running the Open Source version of Zimbra and that doesn't require a licence.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill.

I do recall opening a file on this mail server in which there was a June 2011 date along with June 2012. Can't remember the exact content, but at that time, it appeared to me that it's somehow related to some sort of license.

Can you please help me find that file again?

Thanks in advance

I do recall opening a file on this mail server in which there was a June 2011 date along with June 2012. Can't remember the exact content, but at that time, it appeared to me that it's somehow related to some sort of license.
    It doesn't matter if it's a licence file, or not, you have the Open Source version and there's nothing to 'expire'.

If you ran 'zmcontrol -v' on the Zimbra server and if the output above is from that then you definitely have an Open Source version and it doesn't expire. It doesn't even matter if you had an NE trial installed at one time you will still have the OS version. You can check in the Admin UI and see if there's any Licence tab, if there isn't then don't worry, if there is it will have full details of any licence validity.
    Regards

Bill

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Certificates ?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a licence file, or not, you have the Open Source version and there's nothing to 'expire'.

If you ran 'zmcontrol -v' on the Zimbra server and if the output above is from that then you definitely have an Open Source version and it doesn't expire. It doesn't even matter if you had an NE trial installed at one time you will still have the OS version. You can check in the Admin UI and see if there's any Licence tab, if there isn't then don't worry, if there is it will have full details of any licence validity.
    Thanks. Yes, I ran the command above and posted the output exactly as it appeared. I looked at the admin UI but didn't see a license.

The reason I am trying to find that file on the mail server, is that last year on June 8th the mail server stopped working. Then the previous IT person spent a day working on it and fixed it. The file I came across months ago, had the June 8the date in it along with this date: June 8, 2012 which scares me because looks like whatever happened on June 8th, will most likely happen on June 8th, 2012....I'm really puzzled now.

EdMartin is offline Senior Member

I agree with ccelis5215. This sounds like a certificates issue. To check it out, in the Admin interface click Tools | Certificates and inspect the information displayed. I expect June 8 will feature prominently.

The certified wiki article "Administration Console and CLI Certificate Tools" tells you how to renew your certificates when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    Certificates ?
    Could be, can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by EdMartin View Post
    I agree with ccelis5215. This sounds like a certificates issue. To check it out, in the Admin interface click Tools | Certificates and inspect the information displayed. I expect June 8 will feature prominently.

The certified wiki article "Administration Console and CLI Certificate Tools" tells you how to renew your certificates when the time comes.
    Thanks for your reply. I found the section you mentioned but when I click on the certificate, I get an error:

Is this going to be an issue?
    Last edited by tezarin; 04-03-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Is this going to be an issue?
    Yes. Try running the commands via the CLI. What you really should do is plan to get your server up to a more recent release ZCS 5.x is end-of-life shortly.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information