Thread: Perpetual license question...

PhD
    PhD is offline Senior Member

Default Perpetual license question...

Hi there,

We have ZCS Netowrk edition running 7.1.3.. and our perpetual license renewal is due - but due to a downscale in business etc.. what are the implications of not renewing for a while?

If the yearly support contract isnt renewed, are we still able to install updates (ie, 7.1.4?) without any issues.. obviously we lose access to the support portal etc...

But if we were to let it lapse for 6 months, then pick it up again later the cost to get back into support would be 6 months pro rata of 1 year support + the following 1 year support costs right?

My main concern now is just if we can still apply updates while out of "support" - given our license expires in "2099"

Cheers
    PhD

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PhD View Post
    We have ZCS Netowrk edition running 7.1.3.. and our perpetual license renewal is due - but due to a downscale in business etc.. what are the implications of not renewing for a while?
    There are several threads covering this in the forums.

If the yearly support contract isnt renewed, are we still able to install updates (ie, 7.1.4?) without any issues.. obviously we lose access to the support portal etc...
    Effictively you have thirty days garce period for renewal then it becoes an 'Open Source' version, as you've already mentioned the NE feature stop working. There's one notable change once this happens, you cannot create any more users on the server even if your original licence was for more than you currently have in use.

But if we were to let it lapse for 6 months, then pick it up again later the cost to get back into support would be 6 months pro rata of 1 year support + the following 1 year support costs right?
    That's a subject you should raise with your sales contact at Zimbra.

My main concern now is just if we can still apply updates while out of "support" - given our license expires in "2099"
    Having said all of the above I believe that does only apply to the 'normal' licence as far as I know and again, I'd suggest you ask your sales contact as a matter of course - licensing questions are best dealt with by them. As yours is a perpetual licence then I'd assume the NE features keep working but obviously with no support but I can't definitively answer that question.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

Effictively you have thirty days garce period for renewal then it becoes an 'Open Source' version, as you've already mentioned the NE feature stop working.
    This is incorrect Bill. The perpetual is a permanent license. Failing to renew will prevent you from moving to the next major version (i.e. 8), and the loss of the support portal, but will not revert to the OSE.

We purchased such a license for this very reason.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

PhD
    PhD is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification there Doug..

I can still perform a 7.1.3 -> 7.1.4 upgrade though right?

by the time v8 comes out i can use that as leverage to fall back under support

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    This is incorrect Bill. The perpetual is a permanent license. Failing to renew will prevent you from moving to the next major version (i.e. 8), and the loss of the support portal, but will not revert to the OSE.
    Wasn't that what I actually said?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Having said all of the above I believe that does only apply to the 'normal' licence as far as I know and again, I'd suggest you ask your sales contact as a matter of course - licensing questions are best dealt with by them.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

My Apologies Bill, apparently I need to slow down a bit when I read.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I can still perform a 7.1.3 -> 7.1.4 upgrade though right?

Correct.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

Thread Information