Thread: Logging IM conversations and LDAP

sparky is offline Active Member

Default Logging IM conversations and LDAP

Hi,

my version of Zimbra is quite old and IM was just a beta at the time....

I am now attempting to create a larger installation for production use for round 100 people and was wondering if the IM feature could be logged or if one could use something like a Jabber server to pass information through and then log it?

Also in a primarily MS centric environment what's the best way to authenticate users using Zimbra?

I was wondering if I could authenticate the server to the Doman Controller or LDAP server then use PAM for the rest?

Thanks
    Release 5.0.16_GA_2921.RHEL5_20090429052155 CentOS5 FOSS edition

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    my version of Zimbra is quite old and IM was just a beta at the time....
    You probably haven't read the recent release notes but the IM server is still beta (and unstable in some circumstances), it's also not recommended for production use and it will be removed from ZCS in version 8. I would suggest you install a separate IM server for your current use, there will (most likely) be a web UI interface to IM servers in ZCS 8 - search the forums (and bugzilla) for further details). Do note that there's no timescale for ZCS 8 at this time.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reponse!

No I didn't check the version release notes and I should have.

That's odd as my personal install of Zimbra is round 3-4 years old running on CentOS 5.x 32bit, so for the IM to still be Beta after all this time is slightly unexpected!

It's ok, it just means that we're going to need an external Jabber/XMPP server but that's fine I can research that.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No I didn't check the version release notes and I should have.
    It's easy to miss.

That's odd as my personal install of Zimbra is round 3-4 years old running on CentOS 5.x 32bit, so for the IM to still be Beta after all this time is slightly unexpected!
    The IM server and works quite well on CentOS, I've used it extensively and it was only 'beta' because it did have problems in some environments. If I remember correctly the problem is mainly in Ubuntu systems and there have been fixes to it over time, at some point a better solution was sought and the result was a separate server with a ZCS Web UI interface but we'll have to wait for the next release for the gory details.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the information and sorry for the late response!

Yeha..... we are actually looking at something that will integrate MSN, record all conversations for monitoring purposes so I'm sure that Zimbra IM is not designed for that - oh plus will use an external client too.....

As a proud and happy Zimbra user since 2008??? I kinda know about what it can and can't do so to relay this back is quite a good thing :-)

Thread Information