Thread: xmpp conference issue

bstone108 is offline Junior Member

Default xmpp conference issue

upgraded from zimbra 5 on a turnkey linux machine to latest. 7.1.4 as of this writing, running on ubuntu 8. prior to upgrade I had a functional conference service for xmpp, after upgrade it failed to create the service and the conference server is totally missing. I'm not sure how to readd the service to my zimbra config. instructions would be very helpful.

if you require more information please let me know what.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bstone108 View Post
    upgraded from zimbra 5 on a turnkey linux machine to latest. 7.1.4 as of this writing, running on ubuntu 8. prior to upgrade I had a functional conference service for xmpp, after upgrade it failed to create the service and the conference server is totally missing. I'm not sure how to readd the service to my zimbra config. instructions would be very helpful.
    That feature is being removed from ZCS, ithere are various (heated) discussions on the forums about it. Read the threads and various bug reports/RFEs that describe what will be in the upcoming ZCS 8 release.
    Last edited by phoenix; 03-21-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That feature has been removed from ZCS, ithere are various (heated) discussions on the forums about it. Read the threads and various bug reports/RFEs that describe what will be in the upcoming ZCS 8 release.
    xmpp server is still present in zimbra 7, did you mean the conference service was removed?

xmpp server is still present in zimbra 7, did you mean the conference service was removed?
    Sorry, that should have read "is being removed" - I've modified my previous post. I'd suggest you look into installing a separate IM server.
    Regards

Bill

is being removed and has been removed isn't the same thing. how would I add a conference server address? that was my original question.

thanks for your not help. avoiding questions or giving answers that doesn't apply to my version is always a good way to be not useful.

for those who have similar problem, I found a solution, might not be best one.

steps I took, backup all user mailboxes and accounts.
    do a fresh install of zimbra, this means answering no to the upgrade question, and no again when it asks to exit installer.
    once reinstalled from scratch rather than upgrade the conference server will be created properly.
    restore your data at this point.

this applies to upgrading turnkey zimbra to zimbra 7 and appears to work fine.

I'm sure there's an easier solution, but only answer I was given was "use something else" and that's not a viable option for me at the moment.

thanks for your not help. avoiding questions or giving answers that doesn't apply to my version is always a good way to be not useful.
    You do realise that these are community supported forums and people that post on here do so when they have the time, don't you? You do also realise that I'm in a different time zone than you, don't you? At the time you posted your reply I was doing something else not avoiding your questions. You seem to dislike my response, if I were you I'd ask for my money back - you'll get a full refund.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You do realise that these are community supported forums and people that post on here do so when they have the time, don't you? You do also realise that I'm in a different time zone than you, don't you? At the time you posted your reply I was doing something else not avoiding your questions. You seem to dislike my response, if I were you I'd ask for my money back - you'll get a full refund.
    the response wasn't helpful and didn't even apply to my version, it applied to the next not yet released version which I'm not planning to use. I thank you for your effort and I do know it's a community forum, wasn't being impatient, just didn't have time to wait around. The problem has been solved, it's not the solution I would like but it did work.

the full steps I took was to write a quick script to backup all user data to xml files along with mailbox data, reinstalled from scratch then restored everything. apparently the installer has a few bugs when upgrading.

Thread Information