Thread: postfix/postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

Crayz9000 is offline Senior Member

Default postfix/postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

I know I'm running an older version of Zimbra on a now unsupported platform, but I just wanted to provide some feedback on a curious issue I had noticed. Zimbra is actually working normally, all messages are being delivered properly, but the following error appears with alarming regularity in /var/log/mail.log and /var/log/zimbra.log:

postfix/postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

After some searching and reading older discussions here, I realized that OS X includes Postfix as its MTA, and the binaries are located in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

mail:/var/log user$ which mailq
    /usr/bin/mailq
    mail:/var/log user$ which postfix
    /usr/sbin/postfix
    mail:/var/log user$ mailq
    postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

Switching to the Zimbra user produces the correct results:

mail:/var/log user$ sudo su - zimbra
    Password:
    mail:~ zimbra$ which mailq
    /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/mailq
    mail:~ zimbra$ which postfix
    /opt/zimbra/bin/postfix
    mail:~ zimbra$ mailq
    -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
    4EA1A3D5A5C 5383 Thu Mar 15 07:19:12 MAILER-DAEMON
    (connect to ********: Operation timed out)
    -- 5 Kbytes in 1 Request.

The only conclusion I can draw, then, is that for some reason the process that calls Postfix's mailq for the system log report doesn't have the right $PATH in its environment, and as a result it's calling the system mailq binary.

Any suggestions on where I can locate and/or fix this so Zimbra logs properly?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The copy of postfix installed on your server (not the zimbra postfix) should have no effect on ZCS, it's not used by Zimbra. Check that your certificates aren't expired and recreate them if they are, look in the log files for any errors or check some of these threads: site:zimbra.com +"Queue report unavailable" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I appreciate the quick (if partially canned) response.

However, as I mentioned in the OP, Zimbra is working normally with the exception of the inaccurate "Queue Report Unavailable" entry that appears in the log files.

Certificates don't expire until 2013 (this is a fairly new Zimbra install).

We have occasional issues with messages going AWOL but I believe it to be more related to user error than anything server-side.

mail:~ zimbra$ zmcontrol status
    Host mail.**************
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running

Again, like I said in the OP, running OS X's Postfix `mailq` command produces a Queue Report Unavailable - Mail System Down message. Running the Zimbra Postfix `mailq` yields normal results. At least on my system (OS X 10.4.11), this behavior is 100% reproducible.

If I find the source of the errant behavior, I'll post it here. I don't expect it to do the Zimbra devs much good, since OS X development has stopped, but it might help out any other confused OS X Zimbra users.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Crayz9000 View Post
    I appreciate the quick (if partially canned) response.
    It was 'partially canned' because I wanted to know the answer to the points I mentioned, sorry if that wasn't a good enough answer.

Why would you expect the mailq command to produce any output for Zimbra when you run it as a user other than zimbra?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It was 'partially canned' because I wanted to know the answer to the points I mentioned, sorry if that wasn't a good enough answer.

Why would you expect the mailq command to produce any output for Zimbra when you run it as a user other than zimbra?
    Sorry... I didn't mean to sound snarky, but I guess that's just how it came out. I know why you ask those questions; a lot of people simply forget to include important information when they report problems.

I don't expect the OSX mailq command to produce useful output since it's obviously not being used. However, the same error message that the OS X mailq command produces is exactly what's showing up in the Zimbra logs. The Zimbra mailq command does not produce the error message.

Therefore, the only conclusion I can come to is that somehow, the Zimbra logging agent is calling the wrong mailq for updates. I have no idea why or how it would be doing that, which is why I'm posting here.

Thread Information