Thread: ldap_bind error (-1)

dlochart is offline Advanced Member

Default ldap_bind error (-1)

This occurs during installation. The LDAP server (slapd) starts and listens on port 389 (tcp) I have verified this with nmap (from an external machine) and netstat (internal).

My installation won't continue unless I get this straightened out. There are no firewall rules in iptables and SELinux is set to WARN only.

Any kind of help is appreciated

thanks

Doug

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I think some more information might be useful, my telepathy skills don't work on Tuesdays.

How about zimbra version/release? Is it a new install or upgrade? What does it say in the logs apart from the info you've posted in the title? Have you got a DNS server installed? Do your DNS records point to your zimbra server? Have you got the correct information in the /etc/hosts file? Which operating system? Is it a single or multi-server? Have you checked that the LDAP you see is the zimbra one and not openLDAP on you machine that's starting? etc. etc.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    I think some more information might be useful, my telepathy skills don't work on Tuesdays.
    Really ? Mine has to work everyday ... at least my wife thinks so

Sorry ... this is a cross post (I posted in Installation as well) I wanted to try and present it differently

How about zimbra version/release?
    zimbra 4.0.2 RHEL4-20060922120643
    Is it a new install or upgrade?
    New (Reinstall actually)
    What does it say in the logs apart from the info you've posted in the title?
    Code:
    Initializing ldap...
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmldapinit

Started slapd: pid 15735
    ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)
    FAILED (512)
    ERROR
    Have you got a DNS server installed?
    Do your DNS records point to your zimbra server?
    Yep. It is a purely internal domain.

Code:
    Domain=capeinternal.com
    Host=mail.capeinternal.com
    SOA=capeinternal.com
    A=mail.capeinternal.com
    MX=capeinternal.com points to mail.capeinternal.com
    One odd thing though. To get installation to work I had to hack the script ( I know) the zmsetup.pl was trying to do an MX DNS lookup using the full hostname (mail.capeinternal.com) instead of (capeinteranl.com)
    If I run host, dig, nslookup for an MX record it works fine if I provide the domain but I get back the SOA for the full hostname. I believe that MX queries should go against a domain though. Once I changed it to use the domain I got passed that and encountered the ldap issue

Have you got the correct information in the /etc/hosts file? Which operating system? Is it a single or multi-server?
    Single server
    /etc/hosts
    Code:
    127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
    10.3.120.58             mail.capeinternal.com mail
    OS = CentOS 4.4 (32 bit) This is running in VMWare

Have you checked that the LDAP you see is the zimbra one and not openLDAP on you machine that's starting? etc. etc.
    Yes yes yes. This is a fresh install of Centos, no firewall, SELinux set to WARN, no httpd install, sendmail disabled I checked to make sure all other potential conflicts were resolved.

thanks, please let me know if you need anything else.

First, disable SElinux - zimbar (and a lot of other software) has problems with SElinux and it's a requirement it's disabled. As this is a VM, have you got plenty of memory allocated to it? When you've disabled SElinx try again. BTW you could have changed the domain name before you commit the install, it asks if you want to change anything.
    Regards

Bill

I assumed (wrongly) that setting SELinux to WARN would be ok as it allows everything to execute. However, contrary to my beliefe, you actuallu have to disable it in order to get things to work.

Its running now but I don't have the license file I need.

I don't plan to do anything else until I get the license file. Do I have to do anything special to use the license file other than restart everything?

I haven't actually looked but is there a single initd script that starts and stops all of Zimbra or are the components done independently?

thanks again!

Ok I see there is once initd script (excellent) I assume I just restart or reload once I get the license file?

No, SElinux has to be disabled. Contrary to expectation the 'warn' mode still interferes with software.

Yes, as you've found there's a single script to start zimbra at boot. You can also stop/start from a terminal using 'zmcontrol start' as the zimbra user. Have a look at the documentation and the wiki also has details of the cli commands.

You can get the trial license from the support portal, obviously if you've purchased zimbra then your sales person will send it to you. You can import the license using zmlicense:

Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmlicense -i <license-file>
    or via the admin ui, IIRC.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information