Thread: e-mail shared folders

grafiky is offline Active Member

Default e-mail shared folders

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this question must be here or in migration...

We have migrated our OX mail server to the Zimra mail server, in OX we had 15 mailboxes, one per user but also we had "ox shared folders".

What is a "ox shared folder"? It is for example a folder where all mail sent to "prices@domain.com" was delivered. It was not a mailbox, just a shared folder. Then users with access to that shared folder can suscribe to it. Other example: purchasing@domain.com. Etc. It wasn't a alias as more that one user could suscribe to that folder and it wasn't a Distribution list as the mails were delivered to that folder, not to the folder of users.

How could I create a similirar structure without creating such a big number of mailboxes?

Thank in advance for you knowledge.

Regards,
    Rafael Blasco

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by grafiky View Post
    What is a "ox shared folder"?
    Surprisingly, it's also called a Shared folder in ZCS.

Quote Originally Posted by grafiky View Post
    How could I create a similirar structure without creating such a big number of mailboxes?
    You haven't actually said how many of these "shared folders" you actually need nor what your structure might be.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi (with a big delay... due to other problems with the same Zimbra Server),

We need 10 shared folders and the structure might be admin will decide permision of this folders for the users (Accounts) of Zimbra so they can subscribe to the shared folders.

Example: all mail sent to alerts@domain.com will go to the shared folder "Alerts" and Accounts support1, support2 and support3 can subscribre to this folder to see the mails. All mail sent to backups@domain.com will go to the shared folder "Backups" but only suppor1 and support2 can subscribe to it (support3 doesnt have permision to access).

Is it clear or I have to specify more? Is it possible (how)?

Thanks
    Regards,
    Rafael

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Surprisingly, it's also called a Shared folder in ZCS.

You haven't actually said how many of these "shared folders" you actually need nor what your structure might be.
    Well, today is a good day to closed threads

I didn't find any "shared folder" like in OpenXchange, so I'm in disagree with phoenix. In this case I will say: What is a "OX share folder? - It is called "Resources" in Zimbra (it isn't called the same).

What is a "shared folder" in Zimbra? For me it is a folder of a Account which you share with other users, but you cannot give an email address to this shared folder.

If you want to give an specified email address to a shared folder you have to use "Resources".

In this point my dude is: Which are the differences between Accounts and Resources? Because when you create a Resource, it looks as an Account...

--- DL "shares" begin ---
    Note: I got lost in this thread because inside Distribution List - edition - there is a tab which say "Shares". What are "Shares" inside the edition of the "Distribution Lists"? In my opinion it is only information. You cannot share or unshare anything here. The only thing you can find useful here is to inform to a new member of the distribution list which share of other accounts have been shared. As (from help) "Users can also find shares that have been shared with them. In the Folders section of Overview pane on the Zimbra Web Client, they can click Find Shares to quickly find and add folders that have been shared with them", if you don't check the "Notify new members of available shares" checkbox it doesn't have many sense for me.
    --- DL "shares" end ---

So... finally I will answer my question.

If you want to create a folder (just a folder, without contact, calendars, etc...) where all emails of an specific address will go inside and share this folder with other users, you need to create a Resource. Because if you create an Account with this objective you will spend one mailbox of your Licence.

Of course, this is my experience... please If this is not correct --> masters correct me!

Thanks

Regards,
    Rafael Blasco

Thread Information