Thread: Anti-spam ineffective?

Storm16 is offline Senior Member

Default Anti-spam ineffective?

Now that I finally have antispam working on my system, I have been training it daily from my spam folder. Yet I keep seeing the same spam coming to my inbox. A lot of the ones I have noticed (though by no means the only ones) seem to be day trader ones (subject is its me, <name> and body talks about hot stocks blah blah blah). I have marked about 30 of them today as spam and run zmtrainsa on my junk folder, and yet I still receive them in my inbox.

My kill and tag percentages are still at 75/33, but those should be sufficient, right? Is it just that my spam filters need more training? I just ran zmtrainsa on my junk folder with 66 messages, but it learned from one message out of those 66. There seems to be a disconnect between what SA is learning and what it is allowing to my inbox.

Thanks,
    --Storm
    Last edited by Storm16; 11-20-2006 at 08:16 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You shouldn't need to train zimbra from the junk folder, it does that automatically by running zmtrainsa as a cron jon. I have my kill/tag percentages at 66/25 and see that type of spam about once a week in my inbox, the rest of them end-up in my junk folder. You might want to modify ytour kill/tag percentages and take a look at the headers of some of the spam and see what's happening with it and why it gets through.

Don't forget, you will get spam in your inbox as no system is 100% perfect.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

lukefilewalker is offline Intermediate Member

I have a fresh installation (4.0.4) one domain and one account, kill and tag percentages are still at 75/33.
    I received normal mail with spam score=3.808 and spam mail ("buy ******" in body message) with spam score=1.809. After 5 junk the same spam mail (with"buy ****** in body message) increase spam score until 3.159.
    If I reduce kill/tag values, I risk that zimbra junk normal mails and put in inbox spam mails!
    Is it possible, by default, that normal mail has a spam score more high than spam mail (with "buy ******" in body message)?

Storm16 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    You shouldn't need to train zimbra from the junk folder, it does that automatically by running zmtrainsa as a cron jon. I have my kill/tag percentages at 66/25 and see that type of spam about once a week in my inbox, the rest of them end-up in my junk folder. You might want to modify ytour kill/tag percentages and take a look at the headers of some of the spam and see what's happening with it and why it gets through.

Don't forget, you will get spam in your inbox as no system is 100% perfect.
    Thats the way I thought I read it in the wiki, however, seeing the same spams in my inbox day after day after day (the "Its me" trading emails were coming in at least 20 times a day), I thought I needed to try something. I will try adjusting the tag/kill percentages.

Another question regarding the automated cron of the antispam. Let me see if I understand this.

Emails come in, are passed through the spam filter, then either are not delivered or to either the inbox or the junk folder. Things sent to the junk folder are immediately forwarded to the spam account, which the cron job processes and cleans out?

Also, I know that anti-spam isn't 100%. I'm just trying to get the amount of spam down a bit.

Thanks,
    --Storm

Thread Information