Thread: About internal messaging and Zimbra 8

esantos is offline Senior Member

Question About internal messaging and Zimbra 8

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very hackneyed threat but I'm outdated regarding Zimbra 8 realease, is there any news about Zimbra 8?

I'm still holding in Zimbra 6 NE because there is no options to have an internal
    messenger, I don't find this silly to be amusing anymore...seriously .

I'll really appreciate if can tell me what is the current situation

Thnxs guys! Ed.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by esantos View Post
    I know this is a very hackneyed threat but I'm outdated regarding Zimbra 8 realease, is there any news about Zimbra 8?
    Not yet.

I'm still holding in Zimbra 6 NE because there is no options to have an internal
    messenger, I don't find this silly to be amusing anymore...seriously .
    As you well know, the IM server in ZCS will be removed in version 8.

I'll really appreciate if can tell me what is the current situation
    There is no other news about version 8 until the Product Portal is updates, for the future of IM you should read some of the forum threads and the bug reports on the subject.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Ans

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Not yet.

As you well know, the IM server in ZCS will be removed in version 8.
    Actually...no, even know.

There is no other news about version 8 until the Product Portal is updates, for the future of IM you should read some of the forum threads and the bug reports on the subject.
    I really want to keep zimbra, but this is hard to explain to everyone they won't be able to use internal messaging anymore. Obviously "Facebook" is not the option as Social Zimlet is proposing. I'm sad.

Please tell me, what else can I do?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I really want to keep zimbra, but this is hard to explain to everyone they won't be able to use internal messaging anymore.
    Who said that was the case? The IM Server may but going but not necessarily the option to use IM services from ZCS.

As I said earlier, read some of the forum threads on the topic and see what the bug/RFE reports have to say on this matter - hold your nerve and wait for ZCS 8.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Sorry, but I don't understand at all what infrastructure ZCS 8 would implement.

Are you saying it would come with a third party messenger?...does it would rely onto a server on internet?...does it would be private, say, into a closed platform? (no facbk, no twitter involved)

Man, is very difficult to hold up if I don't know what to expect...don't you?

LoneCrowe is offline Member

I have to rez this topic because it is still valid. We haven't heard anything about the status of some sort of integrated messaging platform. As it stands now after trying the current messenger I don't know how people are going to go without it. Most of the staff here would not use an external messenger but WILL use this because how integrated it is to the system. Its actually quite good, and simple enough anyone can use it. It just the job.

We do not want our private corporate conversations to go through third parties.

So maybe a happy medium would be to still integrate a "client" into the software almost exactly like it stands now, possibly maybe even a bit like Pidgin and allow us to create our own IM server to use on the same server? Like jabberd etc ?

dik23 is offline Advanced Member

What ever comes of this it's really not cool / clever to keep your paying customers in the dark and let the rumour mill loose.

lytledd is offline Elite Member

We do not want our private corporate conversations to go through third parties.
    The simple answer to this question is to run your own openfire jabber server. I do. And, the Zimbra web portal jabber client works fine with it.

But, I don't use the portal client, for Linux I run JaJim, and under Windows I have family members running SIM.

Doug
    Ben Franklin quote:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

LoneCrowe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by lytledd View Post
    The simple answer to this question is to run your own openfire jabber server. I do. And, the Zimbra web portal jabber client works fine with it.

But, I don't use the portal client, for Linux I run JaJim, and under Windows I have family members running SIM.

Doug
    Yeah if you saw my response I think the happy medium would be if they just made the "client" to be able to tie in and then we could configure out own server on the server. I'm looking into it, I didnt know about openfire, thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

scohol is offline Active Member

I really want to keep zimbra, but this is hard to explain to everyone they won't be able to use internal messaging anymore. Obviously "Facebook" is not the option as Social Zimlet is proposing. I'm sad.

I would see the IM part being provided by Socialcast and integrating to zimbra via the socialcast zimlet. Zimbra 8 is being proposed as more UCS capable however unaware of the details. I do know that an internal type of facebook like Socialcast and others can add greater benefits than IM and reduces need for email distribution lists that aren't persistent and collaborative.

Thread Information