Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: 8.0 Roadmap

  1. #1
    n.sossonko is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    3

    Question 8.0 Roadmap

    Hi,

    I see 7.1.5 was taken off Zimbra Product Management Portal, does that mean 8.0 is closer and that it will be (as of now) the next release?

    I'm really really dying to get to 8.0 for shared tags (aka categories in Outlook) and some other nice improvements! Is there any way we can get something going on Zimbra Product Management Portal for 8.0?

    Finally, is there a beta version of 8.0 I can at least play around with for now? Will there be one in the near future?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    I see 7.1.5 was taken off Zimbra Product Management Portal, does that mean 8.0 is closer and that it will be (as of now) the next release?
    No it doesn't mean either of those thingsl.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    Finally, is there a beta version of 8.0 I can at least play around with for now?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    Will there be one in the near future?
    You'll see an announcement in the forums when something is available.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    n.sossonko is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Ugh, those were the answers I was really NOT hoping for.

    In the past when I've worked with OSS it has always been a very open process. Now, granted, Zimbra is not strictly OSS and the NE edition is fully commercial, I still was hoping there could be a bit more openness regarding the future of the software. I guess expectations must be managed in this business.

    In any event, I'll keep my eyes open to whatever announcements (although they tend to be post-release typically and of little value) are made.

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    Ugh, those were the answers I was really NOT hoping for.
    Why? You can only make an assumption that the 7.1.5 & 8.x releases have been removed from the Product Portal for a reason but at this stage the reason isn't know to anyone outside Zimbra. I'd assume that those releases are currently being worked on and that the Product Portal will be updated when something definite is ready to be added to the portal.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    In the past when I've worked with OSS it has always been a very open process. Now, granted, Zimbra is not strictly OSS and the NE edition is fully commercial, I still was hoping there could be a bit more openness regarding the future of the software. I guess expectations must be managed in this business.
    The Product Portal is just a convenient way of viewing what's current;y visible in bugzilla.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    In any event, I'll keep my eyes open to whatever announcements (although they tend to be post-release typically and of little value) are made.
    Not always.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    n.sossonko is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Why? You can only make an assumption that the 7.1.5 & 8.x releases have been removed from the Product Portal for a reason but at this stage the reason isn't know to anyone outside Zimbra. I'd assume that those releases are currently being worked on and that the Product Portal will be updated when something definite is ready to be added to the portal.
    Well, I never saw the 8.x release on the Product Portal, all I saw previously was the 7.1.5 (marked as future, with some bugs associated with it). When 7.1.5 came down (after 7.1.4 was released) I assumed they were scrapping 7.1.5. Made sense to me, but if you say no, then no it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The Product Portal is just a convenient way of viewing what's current;y visible in bugzilla.
    Well, what's currently visible in bugzilla depends on who you are .

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Not always.
    My point with that was just that it would be nice to see some sort of roadmap for such a big release, especially with all the proposed functionality being added. I can definitely understand Zimbra's reasoning (the Apple philosophy), but I prefer the openness, fwiw.

    Thank you.

  6. #6
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,201
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    Well, what's currently visible in bugzilla depends on who you are .
    You see exactly the same information in the Product Portal.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    My point with that was just that it would be nice to see some sort of roadmap for such a big release, especially with all the proposed functionality being added.
    There was a webinar (IIRC, Last October outlining the upcoming ZCS 8.x release and a meet in Paris recently for the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by n.sossonko View Post
    I can definitely understand Zimbra's reasoning (the Apple philosophy), but I prefer the openness, fwiw.
    Heaven forbid that anyone follows the Apple 'philosophy' about anything.The Product Portal has not gone, it's just not visible at the moment and that's only temporary until the features and bugs for those release are finalized.
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-16-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    dagar is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    middle of a corn field, IL
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Was that 8.0 webinar recorded that we can get at?

  8. #8
    liverpoolfcfan's Avatar
    liverpoolfcfan is offline Outstanding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dublin, IRELAND
    Posts
    698
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    If you use the advanced search on the Submit Bug or Enhancement page - you can see that 'dan' has a lot of work to do before 7.2 will be ready. It appears from the list of tickets that the next release, 7.2, will be almost entirely focused on S/MIME - with just a few other bug fixes thrown in.

    Search for Version found = 7.2.0_ZCS_Helix - then select whatever statuses you wish to filter on in the Status box on the left.

    Similarly you can search for 8.0.0_ZCS_IronMaiden tickets.

    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.c...op&value0-0-0=

  9. #9
    n.sossonko is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    I am aware of the searching capabilities. Truth be said, there are a few things holding back our corporation from rolling out Zimbra to even more entities which (I am fairly confident) are slated to be fixed in 8.0. These include: enhanced sharing, better oulook integration, server-to-server sync (pipe dream, but maybe!) amongst many other improvements. There's probably other stuff that should be really exciting too, but it's too hard to really find out about them.

    Having progress updates and/or some sort of roadmap would really be nice.

  10. #10
    jerryboi is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I totally agree that a roadmap would be nice (as it was available before VMWare) but that is not why I am posting. WHat I would love to know is: what is server-to-server sync?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Darwin 8.0 Installation
    By toR in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
  2. When will the new roadmap be published?
    By cabotine in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 08:55 AM
  3. Developers roadmap?
    By gribbler in forum Developers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
  4. Roadmap?
    By billybofh in forum Developers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 09:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •