Thread: Zimbra Open Source - Questions

geek876 is offline Junior Member

Default Zimbra Open Source - Questions

Hi All,

I have installed Zimbra Community Edition to support multiple domains. It is a single server setup. I had few question so would appreciate if someone would guide me/assist me. Thanks in advance.

(1) DNS
    We have a typical Firewall/NAT Environment so the zimbra server has an internal IP and an external IP. We have configured the server so that when it tries to resolve its own name, it always gets the internal IP. I think this is what is required anyway.
    (2) MX Pointers for domains
    For Each domain (ex: domain1.com), within the domainís DNS, we setup an MX entry with priority 0, host Ď@í pointing to mail.domain1.com. Then setup an A entry of mail.domian1.com to point to zimbra serverís external IP address. Is this ok? Also, we setup a reverse DNS pointer within the domain1.comís DNS so that the external IP address of zimbra server points to mail.domain1.com.

Questions:
    (1) Currently, our users type the external ip address of the zimbra server to pick up their emails via the zimbra web client. We want that they should be able to type mail.domain1.com (mail.domain2.com ...) and get the zimbra client login page but this is not happening...any idea if this is possible? Just to add, mail.domain1.com, mail.domain2.com etc all point to the Zimbra Serverís External IP Address
    (2) Is there a way to force clientís web access over SSL?
    (3) Finally, reverse DNS lookup... As explained above, for each domain, we have a reverse pointer of zimbraís external IP address pointing at mail.domainx.com, so if we have 3 domains, we would have 3 entries

External IP -> mail.domain1.com (within domain1ís DNS)
    External IP -> mail.domain2.com (within domain2ís DNS)
    External IP -> mail.domain3.com (within domain3ís DNS)

I believe the reverse DNS entries are sometime required by some email servers as a security check to establish the IP/DNS of the sending server, would the above setup work as a reverse lookup for Zimbra Serverís external IP is going to give 3 values back..

Once again thanks a lot for taking time to read this post

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by geek876 View Post
    Questions:
    (1) Currently, our users type the external ip address of the zimbra server to pick up their emails via the zimbra web client. We want that they should be able to type mail.domain1.com (mail.domain2.com ...) and get the zimbra client login page but this is not happening...any idea if this is possible? Just to add, mail.domain1.com, mail.domain2.com etc all point to the Zimbra Server’s External IP Address
    That would work if you had valid DNS record for the server.

(2) Is there a way to force client’s web access over SSL?
    Why not set ZCS to https mode (covered in the forums and the documentation).

(3) Finally, reverse DNS lookup... As explained above, for each domain, we have a reverse pointer of zimbra’s external IP address pointing at mail.domainx.com, so if we have 3 domains, we would have 3 entries
    No you wouldn't, you only have a reverse IP address for the primary domain on the server and that can only be configured by your ISP.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

First of all thanks a lot for your replies...Much appreciated...

I am not entirely clear on the Reverse DNS bit though...

Our Zimbra Server is on a domain of its own ex: zimbra.mydomain.com with an external and an internal IP.

There are 2 domains on zimbra, domain1.com and domain2.com

So are you saying that as long as I have a reverse pointer of external IP -> zimbra.mydomin.com it should work FOR ALL DOMAINS? I don’t need external IP -> mail.domain1.com and external IP -> mail.domain2.com ?

Eclipse is offline Senior Member

This command forces Zimbra to use https for the weblogin

Code:
    zmtlsctl https
    Run as the zimbra user

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    This command forces Zimbra to use https for the weblogin

Code:
    zmtlsctl https
    Run as the zimbra user
    Thanks your reply.

blason is offline Elite Member

mail.domain.com mail1.domain1.com shoudl be able to resolve by DNS A entires of add CNAME entries.

bofh is offline Elite Member

BTW
    using cnames as mx records isnt rfc complaint and i know some mailserver will reject sending mails to you or rejeckt mails from you - this just for the record

anyway there only few mailserver beeing that strict and for an hosting company its a commong thing using cname for mx records

i personally would not use mx entry like you do like
    example.net = customer domain
    zimbra.example.com = your zimbra host

(sorry i use example in both but those are the rfc complaint domainname for documentation

example.net - domain - currently as i understand your post

Code:
    @                        IN MX 10   zimbra.example.com.

Because if your customers want to use their own domain to login like
    whatever.example.net - you have to set an additional host entry for that ip

instead i would use
    example.net - domain
    Code:
    @                        IN MX 10 whatever.example.net.
    whatever IN CNAME  zimbra.example.com.
    example.com - your primary domain outside DNS
    Code:
    zimbra IN A  external.ip.adress.

example.com - your primary domain INTERNAL DNS
    Code:
    zimbra IN A  192.168.0.222

In zimbra config you can simply add domains with
    example.net

That way customers can use whatevertheywant.example.net as their own login without any additional dns config and you can still switch the external ip adresse pretty quickly
    (make shure your primary external DNS entry has a very ultra low ttl that way you can switch within one minute or so)

i know its almost the same as your config but its a bit cleaner

REverse entry:
    you set only zimbra.example.com = external ip as reverse entry
    thats it

No you dont need an external ip each domain - that would be supernonsense - even better its possible but pretty hard to let zimbra use multiple ips for multiple domains

and it doenst matter - in fact all you domains use your primary domain as mailserver / sender / reciever so to the outside you additional domains dont have their real own mail server they just use the primary

if a mail comes in it gets delivered to the primary domain - zimbra sort it out and delivers to the approbiate account -
    when you send mails - sending domain is the additional but sending by is always primary

so its not nessesary having each additional domain an additional ip or ssl cert

however if you want to login by whatever.example.net without an security warning you need an ssl cert

blason is offline Elite Member

Nah..I didnt mean to add CNAME for your MX record. CNAME record can be added for your webmail record.

mail.example.com is my MX Record and A record as well and if I dont people to use mail.example.com as URL then I would use webmail.example.com as a CNAME to mail.example.com

bofh is offline Elite Member

shure it can
    but point is by cnaming the mx records you can switch all domains to a new ip in no time

of course if you got only 4 domains it doenst really matter
    if you got a couple hundred it does - you may can script a dns change across hundreds of dns records but that may not relyable

thats why its common practise to cname the mx a record

Thread Information