Thread: Zimbra configuration - SMARTPHONES

samuel.lao85 is offline Member

Default Zimbra configuration - SMARTPHONES

Hi guys,

We tried to configure a zimbra account in 1 IPHONE and also a SAMSUNG GALAXY. We can receive emails, but cannot send them.

I already checked the sending port (SMTP 25), does anyone know what else should I configure ?
    We have configured zimbra accounts in Blackberrys and it works well.

Thanks...

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by samuel.lao85 View Post
    We tried to configure a zimbra account in 1 IPHONE and also a SAMSUNG GALAXY. We can receive emails, but cannot send them.
    You really ought to give a more detailed explanation of the problem and what exactly happens including any error messages on the phone and the server.

Quote Originally Posted by samuel.lao85 View Post
    I already checked the sending port (SMTP 25), does anyone know what else should I configure ?
    Port 25 is not the 'sending port', port 587 is the correct Submission port and requires authentication to send mail.
    Last edited by phoenix; 02-09-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

OK. We receive a message which don´t tell us much about the problem.

It just shows that there is an error and " the phone can´t connect with the outgoing server, you can configure additional servers in...."

j2b
    j2b is offline Special Member

As already phoenix said, authentication with user login and password should be configured on the smartphone. Usually by default, smartphones does not configure outgoing SMTP with needed ports and setup, so make sure, that your SMTP settings include the following:

• Outgoing mail server
    • Required authentication (on iPhone rewrite username and password for it and use full email address as username, although the last may depend on your server configuration)
    • Use correct ports. Look at ports your server listening to and make sure, that your firewall is not blocking connections to that ports
    • Use SSL for encryption

For reference:
    I have noticed, that not all client side applications support similar ports. iPhone works good with SSL, SMTP authentication on port 587, but other devices, as well as MS Outlook seems to look for port 465 with SSL to work properly.

• SMTPs (or Secure SMTP) works on port 465
    • SMTP (for e-mail submission) works on port 587

I've noticed aswell, that TLS is used on port 587, but pure SSL - on port 465. Try variations of ports SSL on/off. Hope this helps.

Does zimbra version has to do sth with this configuration ?
    We are using zimbra collaboration suite 5.0

j2b

I don't really think so. Ports have not changed since v5. Personally using v7. Can you telnet your ports? Have you checked firewall rules? As far as I know from my customers, Blackberry actually does not connect to server, but to RIM servers, which poll mail on behalf of your phone. Although, have not checked outgoing mail operations.

And there will be a problem with Galaxy. No CardDAV, CalDAV aware applications, which seriously sets this hardware out of business purpose use, and there are problems with e-mails too. In my case, emails sent to me from Samsung Galaxy native application, crashes my iPad Mail app, when I try to reply on them. No other such issues experienced, event, if my customer sends me an email from Nokia regular phone.

Tip. While you try to configure your smartphone, please look at your logs with tail -f /path/to/file, which may give you some useful information. If you see nothing, then your firewall, DNS or routing is not correct.

j2b

One more clue, that might not be actual, but may be your mobile operator or ISP if WLAN is used, is something filtering or blocking? I have experienced an issue, that my customer was trying to access our SSL guarded mail portal from one company's office, where Wifi for guests was setup. And they were blocking all encrypted traffic - no internet bank access, nor other SSL protected sited worked. May be it's your case too.

Thread Information