Thread: Upgrading Zimbra 7 from Debian 5 to 6

YakkoWarner is offline Active Member

Default Upgrading Zimbra 7 from Debian 5 to 6

I have a working open source Zimbra 7 installation on a Debian 5 machine. I want to install some other services on it that need me to upgrade to Debian 6. Has anyone else tried this already? Will it work, or are there problems I'll need to deal with?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    I have a working open source Zimbra 7 installation on a Debian 5 machine. I want to install some other services on it that need me to upgrade to Debian 6. Has anyone else tried this already? Will it work, or are there problems I'll need to deal with?
    You'll see from the Downloads page that there isn't a version of Zimbra for Debian 6. It is not a supported platform and my recommendation would be don't do it. You may have problems and if you do have problems you'll be on your own, you will also not be able to report any bugs for that version of Zimbra (on Debian) and it's also not advised to run any other services on your Zimbra server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

YakkoWarner is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You'll see from the Downloads page that there isn't a version of Zimbra for Debian 6. It is not a supported platform and my recommendation would be don't do it. You may have problems and if you do have problems you'll be on your own, you will also not be able to report any bugs for that version of Zimbra (on Debian) and it's also not advised to run any other services on your Zimbra server.
    Yes, I saw the download page, which is why I asked the question here. I understand that it's not officially supported (although I'm disappointed and confused as to why -- Debian's the system I've been running the longest and know the best, and it's a shame I may have to learn a whole new OS if I want to keep up-to-date with Zimbra), which is why I'm trying to solicit experience from the community to see if anyone had already tried it, to confirm whether it can't be done instead of "shouldn't".

As far as not running other services, this particular installation is for my family. If it had to support more than three user accounts, I might think twice about burdening it with other tasks.

kruon is offline Loyal Member

I'm running 6.14 on Debian 6, so 7.x should work with relative ease.
    You just need to be aware of the few ulimit settings required, when switching from Debian 5 to 6.

Open files setting was one,
    Code:
    ulimit -n 524288
    You need to set it for both root and zimbra user.

There might have been something else too, probably something ldap related, but I forgot what it was.

Thread Information