I have a two machine setup: My frontend machine (Debian Sarge) running Apache2 and serving other sites. My Zimbra install is on a separate machine, and I want to serve the zimbra ajax client through the frontend machine.

I had a working system with 4.0.3 and mod_proxy (very similar to http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimbraApache)

When I upgraded to 4.5beta1, this quit working. Requests to <frontend>/zimbra would return 0 bytes. I never figured out why, but this is what I did to fix it.

I took a lot from http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...e_using_mod_jk, however this page is for mod_jk, which is not in Debian Sarge for Apache2. So, here is how I did it with mod_jk2:

1. install mod_jk2
2. Create /etc/apache2/workers2.properties
[logger]
level=DEBUG

[config:]
file=${serverRoot}/workers2.properties
debug=0
debugEnv=0

[uriMap:]
info=Maps the requests. Options: debug
debug=0

[shm:]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with multiprocess serve
rs
file=/var/log/apache2/jk2.shm
size=1000000
debug=0
disabled=0

[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=1
debug=0

[lb:lb]
info=Default load balancer.
debug=0

[channel.socket:<ZIMBRA IP ADDRESS>:8009]
info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
debug=0
tomcatId=<ZIMBRA IP ADDRESS>:8009

[uri:/zimbra]
info=zimbra1

[uri:/zimbra/*]
info=zimbra3

[uri:/service]
info=zimbra4

[uri:/service/*]
info=zimbra6

[uri:/service/]
info=zimbra7

3. Set up tomcat to listen to port 8009 using AJP 1.3
- On the Zimbra machine: edit /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf/server.xml and /opt/zimbra/tomcat/conf/server.xml.in and add the following:
<!-- for mod_jk -->
<Connector port="8009" acceptCount="1024" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />
<!-- for mod_jk -->

just before:

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">

As noted in the earlier wiki page, the 443 comes from another directive in the server.xml file.

That seemed to do it. I hope it helps someone, or sticks around in the forums long enough so that next time I have to do this I can find these steps.

Nate S.