Thread: Temporary Zimbra Server

jhoppe is offline Junior Member

Default Temporary Zimbra Server

Hi everyone,

I have a Zimbra server that took a dive, HW-wise, and until the HW is replaced, I'd like to setup a temporary ZCS server.

Would it work to bring up the temp. server, install the same version of Zimbra as the old server, and then just copy the Zimbra folder over from the old server?

Thanks!

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jhoppe View Post
    Would it work to bring up the temp. server, install the same version of Zimbra as the old server, and then just copy the Zimbra folder over from the old server?
    You would lose all the current email you accumulate on that server if you restore the 'old' server over it. You could export the mail from each account the import it into the new server when you. configured that. Take a look at some of the forum threads (and wiki articles) on Disaster Recovery and restoring a backup. The final answer would also depend on whether this is the Open Source version or NE and which release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reply...

As of the other day, the old Zimbra server has not been online at all and has no newer emails since it went down.

The new (temp replacement) server has nothing installed at the moment.

Does this solve what you are talking about? Or am I not thinking about this as I should be (VERY likely ).

My mistake, I was assuming the new server was actually receiving email and obviously copying the old server over that would lose any mail you'd received. As that's not the case then you can copy over the old /opt/zimbra directory. Let me first point you to this article in the wiki: Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki and thse articles in general: site:zimbra.com "moving to a new server" - Yahoo! Search Results

I'd suggest you read and understand the article before you do the move, if you have any questions then please ask. Bringing up the 'new' server shouldn't be a great problem (slightly time consuming but fairly easy) and the first article I've given you should do what you need.
    Regards

Bill

Thanks...I read the walkthrough...but what if I can't run rsync on the old server because its down? Is it acceptable to just copy the entire opt/zimbra directory (open source edition, zcs-6.0.4_GA_2038.UBUNTU8.20091214184037)?

Also, how can one find out their zmhostname? I know what the machine's hostname is, of course, but have no idea how I'd determine the zmhostname...

Thanks again!!!

Thanks...I read the walkthrough...but what if I can't run rsync on the old server because its down? Is it acceptable to just copy the entire opt/zimbra directory (open source edition, zcs-6.0.4_GA_2038.UBUNTU8.20091214184037)?
    Can you mount the drive on the new server? Rsync maintains all the links etc. on the files.

Also, how can one find out their zmhostname? I know what the machine's hostname is, of course, but have no idea how I'd determine the zmhostname...
    It should be the same as your server hostname unless you modified it at any point.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information