Thread: Conversation View with Shared Mailboxes

arctics is offline Member

Default Conversation View with Shared Mailboxes

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to find any thread discussing it, nor have I found a bug for it.

Noticing an issue whereby conversation view is including messages from all shared mailboxes, even while only looking in the inbox of the primary mailbox.

So for example, user1 has his own mailbox, but using zmmailbox, we provided him with access to mailbox team1 as a shared mailbox. When the user is in his inbox, conversation view is grouping messages belonging to user1 as well as team1.

Any thoughts?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arctics View Post
    Noticing an issue whereby conversation view is including messages from all shared mailboxes, even while only looking in the inbox of the primary mailbox.
    Why is this an 'issue'? Is it just unread mail that's in the conversation view or all mail in the shared mailbox?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

It's not only unread messages, but all messages.

It's an issue because if I'm in my own inbox, I intend on looking at only messages that belong to my mailbox regardless of whether I'm in conversation view or message view. When I look at the shared mailbox's inbox, I intend on looking at messages belonging to the shared mailbox.

If there's a user responsible for monitoring 2 or 3 different mailboxes, messages with similar subjects would all be grouped together making it very cumbersome to manage, and rendering conversation view useless.

Thanks

Go to a user mailbox which has the shared folder and then go to the Preferences/Mail tab and change the setting for the default mail search to the following:

Code:
    in:inbox or is:unread
    Save the settings and see what that shows. If it's what you want then you should change that setting in the COS for the domain. The default should normall be "in:inbox" and certainly on my server I don't see any messages from the shared mailboxes unless they are unread, read mail does not show in my Inbox conversation view.
    Regards

Bill

The setting was set to in:inbox (default), but I have changed it on my own mailbox to what you are suggesting.

For secondary mailboxes that are connected using imap (non-zimbra mailboxes), the issue persists.

I still need to verify for secondary zimbra mailboxes.

For secondary mailboxes that are connected using imap (non-zimbra mailboxes), the issue persists.
    Are you actually talking about External Accounts (that isn't what you impled in your first post) or a mailbox on the Zimbra server that's shared with a specific user?
    Regards

Bill

Talking about both scenarios.

But shouldn't the result still be the same regardless?

Talking about both scenarios.

But shouldn't the result still be the same regardless?
    Not necessarily. You can create an external account to download mail into the Inbox of the user or keep it in a separate folder, a shared folder from another account is always created as a separate folder.
    Regards

Bill

Sorry for the delayed response.

This has become a bit of a problem in our organization. I'll explain an exact example to provide details.

User A has an external imap mailbox (mailbox 1) setup to download mail to a separate folder. So new incoming messages to mailbox 1, when in Message view end up in the Mailbox 1 folder under Inbox. New incoming messages sent to User A end up in User A's inbox. When the view is changed to conversation view, conversations group messages with similar subject lines from both User A's folders as well as the Mailbox 1 folder.

Is there a way to control conversation view such that messages from Mailbox 1 don't display?

Why this is an issue:
    In this one example, User A has conversation view as her default view. To stay organized, when she sees a message in the inbox that is not relevant to her, she drags it to a personal folder she has created. Since she's in her own inbox, she assumes that these are all only her messages, not messages from Mailbox 1 as well. So when she drags a message from Mailbox 1 to a folder, it removes it from the Mailbox 1 inbox. So other users that access Mailbox 1 think they are disappearing.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks!

Is there a way to control conversation view such that messages from Mailbox 1 don't display?
    Use the Search function, when you get the correct search for your requirements you can set that as the default in the User Preferences tab and/or save the search for future use.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information