Thread: Restore backup from "broken" zimbra instalation

dewanggaba is offline User Awaiting Moderation

Default Restore backup from "broken" zimbra instalation

Dear,

I've read the wiki about backup and restore broken zimbra instalation. I've do this progress :

1. Moving broken zimbra to /data/zimbra-old
    2. Install new zimbra to /opt/zimbra

And now the problem is the old ldap server is broke, but the file (msg, attachment, etc) from broken zimbra instalation is complete. Could I restore the complete message (include attachment, contact, etc) from the old zimbra to the new one? (in case, the ldap server is down).

Code:
    $ zmcontrol -v
    Release 7.1.3_GA_3346.RHEL6_64_20110928134428 CentOS6_64 FOSS edition.
    Using CentOS 6.0 x64

Bump! Anyone? Help please :'(

I've try to follow this step, restoration success. But, I don't know the match hash for each account. How to find the /opt/zimbra/store/0/{hash}/msg/{number}/{msg_id}.msg? Any method to resolve this issue? Thanks before

Cine.ZxCommunity is offline Senior Member

Hello Dewanggaba,

check out the following wiki article, might have the answer to your question: Account mailbox database structure - Zimbra :: Wiki

The field you marked as {hash} is the mailboxId, and it should be the only data you need to know if you follow method 1 of the guide you linked.

To know the user each /opt/zimbra/store/0/{mailboxId} folder belongs to, simply check in the .msg files for the recipient (BE SURE to check more than one message per folder to be absolutely 100% positive of your choice.

Good Luck with your restore,
    Cine
    Cine - Community Manager - ZeXtras
    www.zextras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cine.ZxCommunity View Post
    Hello Dewanggaba,

check out the following wiki article, might have the answer to your question: Account mailbox database structure - Zimbra :: Wiki

The field you marked as {hash} is the mailboxId, and it should be the only data you need to know if you follow method 1 of the guide you linked.

To know the user each /opt/zimbra/store/0/{mailboxId} folder belongs to, simply check in the .msg files for the recipient (BE SURE to check more than one message per folder to be absolutely 100% positive of your choice.

Good Luck with your restore,
    Cine
    Thanks Cine for replying my thread,

The current problem is how to find the correct mailbox_id belongs to the correct username, but the LDAP Server is broke too :'( Should I read each file one by one? *I hope any alternative to find the correct mailboxid belongs to username*

The current condition is, I can only read the *.msg file, the SQL, LDAP and other service is terminated. The file located at :

Code:
    [root@mail 0]# pwd
    /opt/zimbra-old/store/0/{mailbox_id}/msg/{hash?}/{msg_number}.msg
    [root@mail 0]#

Cine.ZxCommunity is offline Senior Member

Hello again,

as far as I know, all mail for a user is in its /opt/zimbra-old/store/0/{mailbox_id}/msg/ folder (and subfolders), so as long as you can read some .msg files to determine the user, you can use method 1 of the guide you linked to add all emails back to the correct accounts..
    Cine - Community Manager - ZeXtras
    www.zextras.com

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dewanggaba View Post
    I've read the wiki about backup and restore broken zimbra instalation. I've do this progress :

1. Moving broken zimbra to /data/zimbra-old
    2. Install new zimbra to /opt/zimbra

And now the problem is the old ldap server is broke, but the file (msg, attachment, etc) from broken zimbra instalation is complete. Could I restore the complete message (include attachment, contact, etc) from the old zimbra to the new one? (in case, the ldap server is down).
    What was 'broken' about your old install? Did you try to fix the problems on this server?

Quote Originally Posted by dewanggaba View Post
    Code:
    $ zmcontrol -v
    Release 7.1.3_GA_3346.RHEL6_64_20110928134428 CentOS6_64 FOSS edition.
    Is this the current version on the new server? Do you have the same version on the old server and was it also a 64bit system?

Using CentOS 6.0 x64[/QUOTE]
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by Cine.ZxCommunity View Post
    Hello again,

as far as I know, all mail for a user is in its /opt/zimbra-old/store/0/{mailbox_id}/msg/ folder (and subfolders), so as long as you can read some .msg files to determine the user, you can use method 1 of the guide you linked to add all emails back to the correct accounts..
    Thanks cine,

The problem is all username on old mail server using distribution list, so if I send to all@domain.com each username also receive the same messsage. Is there any method to grep the username belongs to mailbox id ? (eg. return-path or something else?) I mean, is there alternate method except determine each mailbox id and read one by one the .msg file?

And, how to make restored email same as the date as before ? I was restore the one .msg file, and the message's date changed to current date when that message are imported.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    What was 'broken' about your old install? Did you try to fix the problems on this server?
    I try to fix the broken instalation using ./install -s --platform-override. But still the LDAP can't UP. I made mistake, running command rm -rf to /opt/ But I still can break the ops after 1 or 2 secs. After that, I run ./install -s above.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Is this the current version on the new server? Do you have the same version on the old server and was it also a 64bit system?
    Yes, the current version and the old version are same. And installed on the same server too.

Bump!

Thread Information