Thread: Conflict situation

Erwin87 is offline Starter Member

Default Conflict situation

Hello

I'm in the startup phase of my own company. A well-known that introduced me to VMware Zimbra have installed it for me. He is the administrator of the email system.

The version is VMware Zimbra 7.1.3_GA_3346. He introduced me to VMware Zimbra because he works for a company that allows others to use this same e-mail system.

Now I am currently in a conflict with him and I wondered if it is possible that the administrator can view my emails and can use them (as administrator) for his own cause.

Is this possible or I shouldn't have to worry?

Sorry about my bad english, I'm from the Netherlands

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin87 View Post
    Now I am currently in a conflict with him and I wondered if it is possible that the administrator can view my emails and can use them (as administrator) for his own cause.
    Yes, the Administrator can view all email on the server. That is also true for any administrator of a mail server whether it's your own server of a hosted solution. The simple answer is, if you don't trust the Administrator or the hosting company then don't use their mail server. For example, using google mail you actually give away your rights to any privacy (and give them the right to 'use' your documents) when you sign up.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Erwin87 is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Yes, the Administrator can view all email on the server. That is also true for any administrator of a mail server whether it's your own server of a hosted solution. The simple answer is, if you don't trust the Administrator or the hosting company then don't use their mail server. For example, using google mail you actually give away your rights to any privacy (and give them the right to 'use' your documents) when you sign up.
    Bill

Thanks for your quick reaction.

So I should be worried. He told me that in the version he is using this is not possible, only with a more extensive and expensive package of Zimbra.

He said the only way to look in my email is by takeover my email account by changing my password and login with the new password.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

So I should be worried. He told me that in the version he is using this is not possible, ....
    That's a decision only you can make. As I've already pointed out, it's possible for an Administrator to view your email whichever server is used - whether they would or not is a matter for your judgement and the conditions under which you're using it.

He said the only way to look in my email is by takeover my email account by changing my password and login with the new password.
    There is an Administrator account within Zimbra and if they login to the Admin UI then it's possible to view the email of any user on the system - that feature is available in all versions of Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jsoiva is offline Starter Member

Hello,

I am not a tech person, but I am experiencing some problems that partly relate to this issue...

I understand that the hosting provider could/can access all mails from the usersī mailbox.
    But could the admin send mails as the user himself?

Meaning: could the admin (hosting provider) access a userīs mailbox and then reply to a specific mail (acting as if the hoosting provider was the user himself)?

Many thanks,
    JSoiva

bofh is offline Elite Member

Hello

I'm in the startup phase of my own company. A well-known that introduced me to VMware Zimbra have installed it for me. He is the administrator of the email system.

The version is VMware Zimbra 7.1.3_GA_3346. He introduced me to VMware Zimbra because he works for a company that allows others to use this same e-mail system.

Is this possible or I shouldn't have to worry?

Sorry about my bad english, I'm from the Netherlands
    Hello, First sorry to hear that issues with your provider, but actually iam wondering that this is the first kind like that i see in those forums.
    With the cloud there comes the question of integrity of those personons working in the it or for the provider.
    Its a also a challange to the provider to make shure no missusage is done by his admins, its not easy but i believe possible, well absolute security when it comes to people
    is never possible, ask the pentagon who had an spy from the ussr for decades working among them lol

that said:

1. you can always send a messasge on the behalf of anyone. oyu dont even need access to the mailserver, mail do not verify the source - its a designflaw sind the uhm late 60s
    never changed... however the reciever can see the origin server and ip
    2. in case of zimbra - yes he can send a mail in behalf of you - and in this case it would like you did it - and theres almost nothing you can do to proof otherwise
    not without access to the server log files.
    3. any admin with access to your mailsystem can bring you trouble, no matter where you go.

some questions:
    why do you have your own zimbra server as a startup do you relaly need it?
    why dont you take a real provider for that matter? or get an consulant setting up your system on your own box ?
    i both cases i would

1. make shure the company is wihtin the EU (there a lot very strong regulations, penaltys and fees within european law for missuse data of a client, also its easy to sue a company within the EU for that so any serisous company would make shure as hell that wont happen)
    2. ask them if they give you certain garantees you need in writing.
    3. go for someone who is within your reach, with phone and so on not related to any involved in that issue

advise:
    if you really have serisous concers such thing would happen to you, go as fast as you can and get help for that issue,
    export your data, migrate on a new system, delete what you can on the old, switch domains, run away
    serisously data breach can be a real issue in every aspect in your life depending what you do, but if you have an creative knowing enemy your in deep shit (sorry to chose that words)

PS: what does your company do , which kind of business ?
    and dont worry about your english most of us are non native speakers, iam form europe too , obiviously english isnt my first lang either but as long we think we know what you wanna say no one will critisize you here for that )

Thread Information