Thread: Do I have to restart Zimbra manually evrytime the internet is down ?

Wasowski is offline Senior Member

Default Do I have to restart Zimbra manually everytime the internet is down ?

Hi,

I upgraded the firmware of my router and I was surprised to see that it was impossible to connect to Zimbra when the internet was up again.

Is there a way to force Zimbra to not go down ?

tx
    Last edited by Wasowski; 10-26-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typos

xeon is offline Advanced Member

There should be no reason your Zimbra server is affected by a router firmware upgrade or internet down. It will work as normal and queue any messages needing to send out. All connections from the outside would of course not work until the internet has been restored.

Give us more details on the issue you are having. Could be a firewall rule issue that you cannot connect?

Wasowski is offline Senior Member

Hi Xeon,

you are right, the server is not going down even if I turn off my router. It was probably something else .

Tx

tonster is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Wasowski View Post
    Hi Xeon,

you are right, the server is not going down even if I turn off my router. It was probably something else .

Tx
    The only case where I can see this being required is if your IP changes. So if you're on DSL where the IP changes every time the router reboots, it might be required, but otherwise if the IP stays the same you should have no issues with ZCS remaining running.

LHammonds is offline Special Member

I'm curious now. I always thought that you would have to have a static IP address to ever host a mail server (because of domain needing the MX record and IP).

Is there some way for home users with a non-static IP address to somehow host a Zimbra mail server? If so, I am VERY interested in knowing how to do this.

While researching into Zimbra as a possible replacement for our Exchange server at work, I thought it would be awesome to have a family email server but thought it impossible due to having anon-static IP.

From what I've read, there can be issues with emails coming from your "dynamic IP" mail server such as being automatically blocked / flagged as a spam site.

Thanks,
    LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; 10-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    I'm curious now. I always thought that you would have to have a static IP address to ever host a mail server (because of domain needing the MX record and IP).

Is there some way for home users with a non-static IP address to somehow host a Zimbra mail server? If so, I am VERY interested in knowing how to do this.

While researching into Zimbra as a possible replacement for our Exchange server at work, I thought it would be awesome to have a family email server but thought it impossible due to having anon-static IP.
    There are professional services that a) will accept your email and forward it to your dynamic IP (such as DynDNS) and b) you can get your mail to a dynamic IP and I'd suggest a Backup MX service that will collect your email when your server is down (actually not available or temporarily not available because your IP has changed). You will need public MX records and some hosting services provide Backup MX as part of the package (see easyDNS.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    From what I've read, there can be issues with emails coming from your "dynamic IP" mail server such as being automatically blocked / flagged as a spam site.
    You relay your mail through your ISPs mail server (or a professional service, see DynDNS again).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information