Thread: CatchAll yet Block some 'to' addresses

c00
    c00 is offline Starter Member

Default CatchAll yet Block some 'to' addresses

My setup is possibly a bit unusual, so let me give you some background.

The way I deal with spam, is I have a (sub)domain with a catchall address. Every site/service I have to sign up for, I put down a different email address. It all ends up in the Catchall box anyway. This way I can monitor who sends me what, and which companies are abit too flexible with their(or my) privacy concerns. As soon as one of the addresses gets spam, I block that specific 'to' address, and no more spam.
    I used to create an alias for every site/service, but decided this is too much work, hence the catchall address.

Now, I used to host my mail on a cPanel controlled server, which has the ability to create a 'forwarder' that rejects messages based on the 'to'-address. Is this possible with Zimbra? And how?

I found a lot on blocking senders, but that doesn't really work well for me. I want to make the address they're sending to disappear.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The simple answer to your question is, it's not possible to have a 'catchall' address and block some email - it's illogical to accept all mail then reject certain email. I've never really understood the need to sign-up for each service with a different email address. If you get spam from a particular site then just mark it as spam and it will get stopped after a couple of times doing that. You can also add the sender to your own block list.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

c00
    c00 is offline Starter Member

I appreciate your opinion, but it doesn't really help my situation.
    My reason for doing this, is because spammers can easily email you from different servers and/or email addresses. So as soon as my address gets known in those circles, it's an endless ocean of spam from there on until forever. Simply removing the alias, solves everything.

Thread Information