Thread: Switching to Zimbra -- in a weird way

Caos is offline New Member

Default Switching to Zimbra -- in a weird way

I'm testing Zimbra to switch our old mail server, which is based on horde+apache+cyrus+postfix+ldap+mysql+spamassassin +etcetera etcetera

I know that Zimbra is supposed to be installed as a whole, but they want me to install ONLY the web interface (don't ask me why 'cause I don't know), and integrate it on the old configuration that already has horde+apache+cyrus+postfix+ldap+mysql+spamassassin +etcetera etcetera.

I know this would be a road full of pain and teardrops, but the question is: has anybody tried to do it? Is there any resonable chance of success?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The answer is, you can't do that. The 'web ui' is part of the zimbra collaboration suite and is a complete package.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

there is zero chance of this working without rewriting the entire interface - it talks to the backend using http/xml/rest/soap, rather than the traditional imp/cyrus way which uses imap.

Well, ok...
    And is it possible to do it by using some packages from zimbra (such as apache-tomcat, for example) and some from the current installation (such as cyrus, for example, to preserve mail accounts)?

I ask these questions because if I can exhibit that this isn't a good idea, I'll be out of this "unpleasant" situation, where I'm supposed to do something stupid, holding the responsibility for hundreds of mail accounts.

Thanks for your previous answers, and thanks to anybody will help further....

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Caos
    And is it possible to do it by using some packages from zimbra (such as apache-tomcat, for example) and some from the current installation (such as cyrus, for example, to preserve mail accounts)?
    No it's not.

I ask these questions because if I can exhibit that this isn't a good idea, I'll be out of this "unpleasant" situation, where I'm supposed to do something stupid, holding the responsibility for hundreds of mail accounts.
    Do a search in the forum, you'll find testimonials of people migrating several hundreds (thousands ?) of mailboxes over several days (week) using imapsync.

Hey, what a quick answer! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Klug
    No it's not.
    Can I ask you why (if I don't ask too much)?
    I must be able to explain this stuff to the guys who ordered me to install zimbra in this tricky way.

Do a search in the forum, you'll find testimonials of people migrating several hundreds (thousands ?) of mailboxes over several days (week) using imapsync.
    ok, thanks, i'll search!!

Klug is offline Moderator

Can I ask you why (if I don't ask too much)?
    I must be able to explain this stuff to the guys who ordered me to install zimbra in this tricky way.
    I'll try a "visual" explanation : Zimbra is a "all in one" solution.

Its heart is the "ZImbra Storage" engine (filesystem + mySQL) on which are plugged modules (LDAP to store users and configuration, using OpenLDAP), the different protocol servers (IMAP4, POP3, designed by/for Zimbra and developped in Java) and the WebUI (same as IMAP4/POP3). Plus the MTA (Postfix).

The only "external" modules are the antispam and antivirus (not mandatory but highly recommanded).

You can not take part of Zimbra (one of the protocol server or the WebUI) and use them with another part of software (cyrus IMAP server, as in your example). It's just not designed to work that way and won't work that way.

I'll try a "visual" explanation : Zimbra is a "all in one" solution.

Its heart is the "ZImbra Storage" engine (filesystem + mySQL) on which are plugged modules (LDAP to store users and configuration, using OpenLDAP), the different protocol servers (IMAP4, POP3, designed by/for Zimbra and developped in Java) and the WebUI (same as IMAP4/POP3). Plus the MTA (Postfix).

The only "external" modules are the antispam and antivirus (not mandatory but highly recommanded).

You can not take part of Zimbra (one of the protocol server or the WebUI) and use them with another part of software (cyrus IMAP server, as in your example). It's just not designed to work that way and won't work that way.
    ok, thanks...
    One more question... cyrus is included in zimbra, what is it used for?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It's used for SASL authentication for SMTP auth.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information