Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cron emails

  1. #1
    tgx's Avatar
    tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Cron emails

    I have read a bit on this in various threads but I have not been able to discern a winning combination. I am running Zimbra 7.0.12 on SLES 11 and I have a cron job on the server that is supposed to email the log file results of an overnight job but the emails go nowhere. If I run mailq you can see the backlog of emails and basically it is telling me Postfix is down. Now from what I have gathered I need to somehow create a link such that the OS understands that Zimbra's Postfix is in charge. However to create such a link I would have to remove the sendmail or postfix executables in /usr/sbin since I cannot link with those files in situ. Can someone verify this is the correct direction to take before I go deleting OS dependent files. Also, I'm at a loss for changing my platform information in my profile I cannot find anywhere in User CP to change it anymore.

  2. #2
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    I have read a bit on this in various threads but I have not been able to discern a winning combination. I am running Zimbra 7.0.12 on SLES 11 and I have a cron job on the server that is supposed to email the log file results of an overnight job but the emails go nowhere. If I run mailq you can see the backlog of emails and basically it is telling me Postfix is down. Now from what I have gathered I need to somehow create a link such that the OS understands that Zimbra's Postfix is in charge. However to create such a link I would have to remove the sendmail or postfix executables in /usr/sbin since I cannot link with those files in situ. Can someone verify this is the correct direction to take before I go deleting OS dependent files.
    site:zimbra.com +sendmail +link - Yahoo! Search Results

    Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    Also, I'm at a loss for changing my platform information in my profile I cannot find anywhere in User CP to change it anymore.
    The feature went walkabout during a recent forums software upgrade, it will return in the not too distant future and meanwhile you can edit your profile here: www.zimbra.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    tgx's Avatar
    tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Link is only valid for systems with alternatives.
    Doesn't work for SLES/SUSE based systems.

  4. #4
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    Doesn't work for SLES/SUSE based systems.
    Really, that's a surprise to me and my openSUSE machines:

    +sles +"update-alternatives" - Yahoo! Search Results

    Code:
    whereis update-alternatives 
    update-alternatives: /usr/sbin/update-alternatives /usr/lib/update-alternatives /usr/share/man/man8/update-alternatives.8.gz
    Code:
    update-alternatives 
    update-alternatives: need --display, --config, --set, --install, --remove, --all, --remove-all or --auto
    
    Usage: update-alternatives [<option> ...] <command>
    
    Commands:
      --install <link> <name> <path> <priority>
        [--slave <link> <name> <path>] ...
                               add a group of alternatives to the system.
      --remove <name> <path>   remove <path> from the <name> group alternative.
      --remove-all <name>      remove <name> group from the alternatives system.
      --auto <name>            switch the master link <name> to automatic mode.
      --display <name>         display information about the <name> group.
      --list <name>            display all targets of the <name> group.
      --config <name>          show alternatives for the <name> group and ask the
                               user to select which one to use.
      --set <name> <path>      set <path> as alternative for <name>.
      --all                    call --config on all alternatives.
    
    <link> is the symlink pointing to /etc/alternatives/<name>.
      (e.g. /usr/bin/pager)
    <name> is the master name for this link group.
      (e.g. pager)
    <path> is the location of one of the alternative target files.
      (e.g. /usr/bin/less)
    <priority> is an integer; options with higher numbers have higher priority in
      automatic mode.
    
    Options:
      --altdir <directory>     change the alternatives directory.
      --admindir <directory>   change the administrative directory.
      --verbose                verbose operation, more output.
      --quiet                  quiet operation, minimal output.
      --help                   show this help message.
      --version                show the version.
    What is it that 'doesn't work'? I've used it recently for testing a java problem.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    tgx's Avatar
    tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I misunderstood a bit about how it works. The actual update alternatives works just fine, what is throwing me off is this:

    [root@zimbra ~]# ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun 23 12:21 /usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta

    On SLES, at least this instance, there is no link from /usr/bin/sendmail to /etc/alternatives so I assumed that alternatives were not configured on this machine. It would seem simply that there is no 'alternative' configured for the MTA.

    I'm asssuming I can simply run this:

    update-alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta-sendmail /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail 25

    and it will be fixed up. I just want to make sure it's not going to suddenly cause Zimbra heartburn.

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,586
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    I'm asssuming I can simply run this:

    update-alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta-sendmail /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail 25

    and it will be fixed up. I just want to make sure it's not going to suddenly cause Zimbra heartburn.
    I believe that should work and there's no reason that should cause a problem for Zimbra.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    tgx's Avatar
    tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Not working. Ran the update alternatives line,

    ------------
    update-alternatives --display mta-sendmail
    mta-sendmail - status is auto.
    link currently points to /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail
    /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail - priority 25
    Current `best' version is /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail.
    -------------

    For good measure also tried the RedHat variant

    ------------------
    host:~ # update-alternatives --display mta
    mta - status is auto.
    link currently points to /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail
    /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail - priority 25
    Current `best' version is /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail.
    -------------

    Here is current mailq status:

    -----------------
    host:~ # mailq
    postqueue: warning: Mail system is down -- accessing queue directly
    -------------
    Last edited by tgx; 10-14-2011 at 02:58 PM.

  8. #8
    tgx's Avatar
    tgx
    tgx is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Any ideas?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
  2. Cron Daemon error emails each day
    By RJones in forum Installation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 01:24 AM
  3. Errors because of Deffered emails
    By mansuper in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 04:08 PM
  4. Not receiving emails
    By koby in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 03:29 AM
  5. emails don't show up in inbox in browser
    By pstelzer in forum Installation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •