Thread: Problem accessing Zimbra from vps-es on the same host as where zimbra is installed

sempiterna is offline Junior Member

Default Problem accessing Zimbra from vps-es on the same host as where zimbra is installed

I just finished installing Zimbra yesterday, and everything seems to work nicely, except for the following:

The zimbra server is installed on a vmware server vm, and i am unable to access either the Zimbra admin panel, zimbra user panel or imap/pop3 from any of the other vm's on the same host node. I can access the panels and imap just fine from anywhere else.

From the other VM i can access zimbra on port 80, but all i see is the apache test page, while everywhere else, i see the zimbra login screen. But, strange enough, on that vm i can ssh to the zimbra box.

I haven't got a clue what is going on. The zimbra vmware vm is using a split-dns setup. The primary DNS is on another vm on the same server, but i dont think that should be an issue because i see 'something' on port 80. And i can ping the vm as well.

This has to work because the webserver for my websites is on another vm, and it is supposed to be sending mails to the zimbra vm as well, which would be difficult if they cant talk to eachother. I also need to imapsync mails from the website vm to the zimbra vm.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sempiterna View Post
    From the other VM i can access zimbra on port 80, but all i see is the apache test page, ..........
    That's an apache web server and is nothing to do with Zimbra, you either see the Zimbra login page or you wouldn't see anything i.e. no connection.

I haven't got a clue what is going on. The zimbra vmware vm is using a split-dns setup. The primary DNS is on another vm on the same server, but i dont think that should be an issue because i see 'something' on port 80. And i can ping the vm as well.
    The fact that you can access it via ssh but not via the url would suggest you have a DNS problem from the machines that are having the problem. Check your resolv.conf and the DNS settings from one (or several) of these clients - you can use the commands in the 'Verify...' section of the Split DNS article.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hmm, i just found out that when i was ssh-ing from the other VM on the same box to the Zimbra VM, i was actually logging onto the host node. This is very very strange. Are VMware VM's on the same box unable to communicate with eachother by design??

I think i need to ask this on the vmware forums as this possibly is a vmware related problem.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hmm, i just found out that when i was ssh-ing from the other VM on the same box to the Zimbra VM, i was actually logging onto the host node. This is very very strange. Are VMware VM's on the same box unable to communicate with eachother by design??
    That depends what network they're on, there should be no problem if they're all on the same LAN. I have an ESXi server with multiple VMs plus a separate VMWare Workstation with several VMs all on the same LAN and they can all connect to each other when required. You might also want to look at the firewall on these clients in case they're blocking access.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That depends what network they're on, there should be no problem if they're all on the same LAN. I have an ESXi server with multiple VMs plus a separate VMWare Workstation with several VMs all on the same LAN and they can all connect to each other when required. You might also want to look at the firewall on these clients in case they're blocking access.
    The host node is world accessible, and the Vmware VM is host-only with a world accessible IP linked to its internal IP using an iptables forward rule. That way i can access it from everywhere in the world. However, it seems now that connections from inside the server itself dont get routed through iptables.

There is no other way other than host-only because the ISP is not allowing IP's to be directly linked to a VM, only to the main server itself. I wonder if there is a way to internally at the host node, route all traffic for the VM's external ip, to the internal ip.

I finally got it to work by creating a seperate DNS A record called "internal.mymaildomain.tld" and pointed that to the internal IP address of the zimbra mailserver. Then added a relay entry for this new A record in the Qmail config file, so that all mail that needs to go out is going through the zimbra server. Now everyone on my zimbra VM is able to receive mail from the Websites VM.

Thread Information