Thread: messages still getting deferred

alderion is offline Member

Default messages still getting deferred

i have been trying to use zimbra for the past couple months and have to say that i really like the interface but the backend seems half baked. i am still getting a ton of deferred messages for no apparant reason. the logs give a read timeout message but that is it. a restart and a flush seems to fix things for a few hours but then messages start getting deferred again.

can someone please help me look into this? i posted this on another thread where 2 additional people are having the same problem (one of them a network customer) but that thread isn't getting answered so i thought i'd start a new one. search for 'deferred read timeout' to see the other thread.

thanks,

-peter

jdell is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by alderion
    i have been trying to use zimbra for the past couple months and have to say that i really like the interface but the backend seems half baked. i am still getting a ton of deferred messages for no apparant reason. the logs give a read timeout message but that is it. a restart and a flush seems to fix things for a few hours but then messages start getting deferred again.

can someone please help me look into this? i posted this on another thread where 2 additional people are having the same problem (one of them a network customer) but that thread isn't getting answered so i thought i'd start a new one. search for 'deferred read timeout' to see the other thread.

thanks,

-peter
    In your other thread, you indicated that you have a public IP but you are running your zimbra box NAT'd.

If that is the case, did you setup local DNS so that Zimbra can resolve the proper NAT'd address behind your firewall (192.168..)? So it tries to deliver to 192.168.. rather than your public IP?

alderion is offline Member

thanks for the reply. yes, zimbra can resolve the host. if it couldn't, no mail would be getting through, right? this is an intermitent problem and i can't find the cause.

again, thanks for the reply.

-peter

jdell is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by alderion
    thanks for the reply. yes, zimbra can resolve the host. if it couldn't, no mail would be getting through, right? this is an intermitent problem and i can't find the cause.

again, thanks for the reply.

-peter
    Well, in my case, one zimbra server I have is NAT'd behind a firewall, and when I first set it up, I didn't have local DNS (the zimbra server FQDN resolved to the public IP), so the logwatch and daily mail report were getting delivered, but they were also generating delivery failure messages. The system seemed quite confused.

When I added the local DNS, I had to flush (postqueue -f) the remaining old entries, and then I never saw the problem again.

Probably doesn't help you any, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways.

Thread Information