Thread: Alternate Mail Server

parul is offline New Member

Default Alternate Mail Server

Hi

I am using Zimbra as my company's mail server, just wondering if it is possible to host another server (any email server with single account) somewhere outside so that whenever Zimbra gets down for some time (network failure), another server take all the emails of mydomain. And when Zimbra gets back to online, it download all emails from there. In this case any emails from outside source will be saved. Is it really possible for Zimbra to download all the emails from other host when it gets back to online?

thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by parul View Post
    I am using Zimbra as my company's mail server, just wondering if it is possible to host another server (any email server with single account) somewhere outside so that whenever Zimbra gets down for some time (network failure), another server take all the emails of mydomain. And when Zimbra gets back to online, it download all emails from there. In this case any emails from outside source will be saved. Is it really possible for Zimbra to download all the emails from other host when it gets back to online?
    It's called a "backup MX" and you can certainly do it with another server unfortunately they are a target for spammers, I'd suggest you start by doing some research on the internet (or those forums) for that phrase. I'd also suggest you'd be far better using a professional service to do it for you (some are free and some are paid for) and you then won't have the bother of maintaining it, keeping it updated, keeping it spam free etc., etc. You can even get it as part of another service such as DNS hosting, I have that service with EasyDNS who host my DNS records. They provide a backup mail server that will keep mail for me (up to five days) if my server goes down and then forward it to me when my server is back on-line - I have no involvement with that company other than as a very satisfied customer.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information