Thread: Run paid NE and free OS on same Domain?

gabaker is offline Junior Member

Default Run paid NE and free OS on same Domain?

I have a paid ZCS NE 7.1 for 100 mailboxes. I need to add about 25 or so mailboxes to my domain, however, these mailboxes will be 'internal' only for users who only will mail within the domain (company). I'd like to save some cash by using ZCS OS Edition for these internal users.

Couple of ???'s

1. Is it possible to setup a 2nd server running the OS Edition that I could use for these 'internal' users? Can they be on the same Domain? All users need to communicate and I don't want GAL hassles.

2. I am using External Active Directory Authentication on the current NE. It would be nice if the users on the 'internal only' server used Zimbra LDAP since the Active Directory change password is still bugged ZCS.

I've looked over the multi-server install docs and it looks promising, but I was wondering what folks here would think and possibly give some pointers for how this could work.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I believe you'll need a Split Domain set-up, I think there's also several threads in the forums that cover this topic if you'd care to do a search.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Klug is offline Moderator

Multiserver does'nt work for NE+OSE setup. It's for "full NE" or "full OSE".

If you don't want hassle (GAL, shares, ease of management, backup, etc) I really think the way to go is to buy 25 additionnal licences.

I do know they're not free but, IMHO, they're cheaper that the time you're going to spend/lose on setting up another server and supporting it on a daily basis.

gabaker is offline Junior Member

Thanks Klug, that's what I was afraid of. Indeed, the time factor is something I need to consider as well. Your're right, the 25 licenses will probably be cheaper in the longrun to simply purchase and add to the existing setup.

Thread Information