Thread: Zimbra Attachment Ghosts

Chewie71 is offline Trained Alumni

Default Zimbra Attachment Ghosts

A user has a Word document that they sent as a wedding invitation one day. They then came back some time later, removed the original text (but leaving the border, pictures, etc...), saved the same document with new text about some other event. Attached that to a Zimbra message and sent it.

When we click on the "Preview" option on the attachment, you can see both the original text from the wedding invite, plus the new event invitation text. Preview makes it look very odd with images in the wrong place, borders not around text, etc....but that's just a limitation of the Preview interface being unable to show a complex Word document formatted correctly. But having both copies of the text (original and then the re-saved version) is more than the normal oddness I usually see in Preview.

If we download the attachment and view it in Word....we just see the new event information.

I know sometimes the "Preview" can do some strange things to documents, but this is the first time I've ever had it show me two versions of a document. Is this Zimbra? Or is it a MS Word issue?

I'm leaning hard on Word being the culprit, but just want to get a second opinion....maybe somebody else has seen this before?

Thanks,
    Matt

bdial is offline Moderator

just a shot in the dark on this one, but i think in word sometimes when you edit it you're actually doing a separate 'revision' and it keeps track of the other revision as well. i forget how to tell if your document has revsioning turned on or off but google could probably tell you.

Chewie71 is offline Trained Alumni

Thanks bdial,

I'll bet that's the issue. Zimbra may be showing the "Fast-Save" extra stuff in Preview. GMail does not apparently.

Matt

Thread Information