Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming mail deferred?

Storm16 is offline Senior Member

Found a post on the amavis mailing list from March 2006

Net::Server 0.91 (or later) introduced a change which makes
    it incompatible with amavisd-new-2.3.3 (or earlier).

Either switch Net::Server back to 0.90,
    or try the:
    http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/a...4.0-rc3.tar.gz
    Not sure what version of amavisd ships with Zimbra 4.0.3, so I installed the libnet-server-perl from stable, which is 0.87-3sarge1...I am still getting the " parts_decode_ext FAILED: Error reading from file(1) utility: Bad file descriptor at (eval 51) line 151, <GEN9> line 1" errors.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

That problem with Net::Server was fixed in later amavis releases, the version with zimbra is 2.4.1 - I'd upgrade to the most recent release of Net::Server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Could you go into the admin ui and disable the AV scanner (and perhaps reboot your server) and see if that allows your mail to be delivered.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Could you go into the admin ui and disable the AV scanner (and perhaps reboot your server) and see if that allows your mail to be delivered.
    I upgraded back to 0.94 for Net::Server (both in /usr/share/perl5/net and in , /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Net) went into the AS/AV tab in the admin console and unchecked "Enable spam checking and antivirus" then clicked save. rebooted, and got the same indications when I clicked flush under mail queues.

In fact, if I am unchecking the AS/AV checkbox in the admin console, why am I still seeing amavis in the messages? Is it acceptable to comment out the "content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024" line in main.cf?

Is it still shown as running in the admin ui or if you do a 'zmcontrol status'? If it is, try a restart and see if it still shows as running.
    Regards

Bill

Is it still shown as running in the admin ui or if you do a 'zmcontrol status'? If it is, try a restart and see if it still shows as running.
    It was still running, however I stopped and restarted in zmcontrol. Currently, zmcontrol status shows

Code:
    Host merrimac.mydomain.com
            antispam                Running
            ldap                    Running
            logger                  Running
            mailbox                 Running
            mta                     Running
            snmp                    Running
            spell                   Running
    However, the admin ui shows all services (including antivirus) still running.

The "enable spam and antivirus checking" checkbox in AS/AV is still unchecked. I also found and unchecked antivirus under the services tab of the Servers -> merrimac.mydomain.com page, and mail is still being deferred with the same error messages still appearing in the zimbra.log. Note that a few emails were delivered, the deferred queue in server status dropped from 1749 to 1713. The rest are still hung in the queue.

Try running 'zmamavisdctl stop' as the zimbra user, that will stop a/s & a/v see if messages get delivered then.
    Regards

Bill

Try running 'zmamavisdctl stop' as the zimbra user, that will stop a/s & a/v see if messages get delivered then.
    Okay...It seems to be working. Though in the status page, I had to reque mail rather than just flushing it. The queue seems to be empty. Now I'm not overly concerned, at this point, about viruses, since all of my clients are running Linux...However, I really would like the anti-spam. Does the amavisd daemon control both as you implied? And is there any other possible reason for the bad file descriptor issue regarding the file command? My first thought was possible application version differences between apps running on Debian/stable and Debian/unstable, but I wouldn't know where to begin to look. Any ideas? Would a post on the developer forum be in order?

Thanks for helping me to get this running, Bill.

--Storm

At last, you can get some mail.

Yes the packages are both disabled by that command. Judging by the message you're seeing I'd say it's a problem reading one of the files that's passing through the mail system. Now, that can be caused by not having the compat libs installed and/or problems with convertd but I'm not sure it's the problem in your situation. I'm not great on debugging problems in distros like debian but I'd suggest you post on their forums and see if anyone has come across this problem before or could at least point you in the right direction.

I seem to have read every post I could find on google about this error but the only one that made sense is the one you found about net::server being a problem. As I mentioned that's fixed in later releases of Amavis. I've also seen mention of problems with perl and this error, you could try removing perl then reinstalling it and see if that helps - but I'm really out of ideas with this one. Maybe one of our more experienced debian users can offer some insight.
    Regards

Bill

At last, you can get some mail.

Yes the packages are both disabled by that command. Judging by the message you're seeing I'd say it's a problem reading one of the files that's passing through the mail system. Now, that can be caused by not having the compat libs installed and/or problems with convertd but I'm not sure it's the problem in your situation. I'm not great on debugging problems in distros like debian but I'd suggest you post on their forums and see if anyone has come across this problem before or could at least point you in the right direction.
    I will do this. Currently I am weeding through the ton of mail that I have accumulated since the old mailserver running Kolab died (hard drive) and now, and most of it in my box is spam...So the sooner I can get the antispam online, the better for me. At least by hitting junk, hopefully spamassassin is being trained...

I seem to have read every post I could find on google about this error but the only one that made sense is the one you found about net::server being a problem. As I mentioned that's fixed in later releases of Amavis. I've also seen mention of problems with perl and this error, you could try removing perl then reinstalling it and see if that helps - but I'm really out of ideas with this one. Maybe one of our more experienced debian users can offer some insight.
    I read a lot of the same posts, which is why I backrevved the net::server to 0.87, before I found out that amavis was 2.4.1. I will make a post to the devel forum. Again, thanks for your help.

--storm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information