Thread: XMPP not working right...

Eclipse is offline Loyal Member

Default XMPP not working right...

Hey guys, I've been running the Zimbra Open Source version for 3 months strong and in recent days a friend and I have been messing about with Zimbra's XMPP IM chat. We were able to connect pidgin, spark and a few other chat clients to the IM service that Zimbra provides using the web interface, however it lacked VOIP.

So we then installed Openfire which has an equvalient chat server like Zimbra's that had plugin support so we could add VOIP and other stuff to the chat. However we were unsucessful in getting VOIP to actually work, the calls would never go through. So I then uninstalled Openfire with CentOS's Add and Remove program manager forgetting I still had it running while doing that. After that I greped for all possible Openfire files and entries and deleted them all.

However trying to connect again to Zimbra's chat service with Spark or any other chat program that worked fine in the beginning now fails, only the Zimbra Web chat works.

One thing to note is that during the install of Openfire, Zimbra's XMPP server was set to FALSE so it wasnt hogging the port. I set it to true again but it didnt make a difference.

I also looked at the mailbox log after attempting to login with spark to Zimbra and I can see that XMPP is talking to Spark but Spark continues to fail at logging in any of the Zimbra accounts.

I hope this warrants a response from someone that knows how to trouble shoot this a bit more....

It seems like I need to clear Zimbra's XMPP cache or something...

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    Hey guys, I've been running the Zimbra Open Source version for 3 months strong and in recent days a friend and I have been messing about with Zimbra's XMPP IM chat.
    The IM Chat server is being removed from Zimbra in version 8.x, I'd suggest you read the forums threads and keep an eye on the bug reports to see what will be happening in the future in this area.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The IM Chat server is being removed from Zimbra in version 8.x, I'd suggest you read the forums threads and keep an eye on the bug reports to see what will be happening in the future in this area.
    Could you possibly link to the post about the removal as I am unable to find it with the search bar above....

I can't see why it would be totally removed, I think its a great optional feature....
    Last edited by Eclipse; 08-23-2011 at 11:41 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

noobinator is offline New Member

Default i'm the friend

let me clarify a bit here about what's going on. The Zimbra xmpp server in the web page works just fine, no problems. The trouble comes in only when authenticating accounts with an external client. Openfire is completely uninstalled but the zimbra xmpp server was still somehow authenticating accounts against that, so in a moderately stupid move we deleted the account database that Openfire was running (it was not linked with the Zimbra LDAP.) Now, the external clients are still trying to authenticate against the old Openfire database which no longer exits, the question is how do we get the Zimbra xmpp server to go back to authenticating against its own accounts?

Hopefully someone can figure this out or I'm going to pull out all my hair,
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noobinator View Post
    let me clarify a bit here about what's going on. The Zimbra xmpp server in the web page works just fine, no problems. The trouble comes in only when authenticating accounts with an external client. Openfire is completely uninstalled but the zimbra xmpp server was still somehow authenticating accounts against that, so in a moderately stupid move we deleted the account database that Openfire was running (it was not linked with the Zimbra LDAP.) Now, the external clients are still trying to authenticate against the old Openfire database which no longer exits, the question is how do we get the Zimbra xmpp server to go back to authenticating against its own accounts?

Hopefully someone can figure this out or I'm going to pull out all my hair,
    thanks
    To clarify a bit more or to put it in layman's terms, Zimbra is seeing the external chat client login requests but it's not showing them the accounts they want, making the external chat client think you entered an invalid set of details.

It's a large question / problem....

Thread Information