Thread: Upgrade Open Source 5 to 7

MMONREAL is offline New Member

Default Upgrade Open Source 5 to 7

Hi,

I have a client that has version 5.0.14_GA_2850.UBUNTU8.FOSS March 3, 2009 installed on Ubuntu. Does anyone know how hard it would be to migrate to 7.1.2_GA Release? They have about 150 users on a very old and unstable server.

Thank you for any help you can offer

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MMONREAL View Post
    I have a client that has version 5.0.14_GA_2850.UBUNTU8.FOSS March 3, 2009 installed on Ubuntu. Does anyone know how hard it would be to migrate to 7.1.2_GA Release?
    The upgrade details are always in the product Release Notes, you run the install script (after taking a suitable backup).

They have about 150 users on a very old and unstable server.
    Is the intention to replace this server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you for replying Phoenix.

I went through the release notes and I now see where it says it can upgrade from v5 to v7. Thank you.

The goal is to get it on a new server - could you please advise me on the best way to backup v5? I see a few ways online – I have done a tar to the zimbra folder before but it took hours. Should I try rsync?

I planned on doing the following:
    - Backup v5
    - Upgrade v5 to v7 on old server
    - Backup v7
    - Install new server and install the latest Ubuntu
    - Install v7
    - Restore old server’s v7 backup

Do you think this will work?

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for replying Phoenix.

I went through the release notes and I now see where it says it can upgrade from v5 to v7. Thank you.

The goal is to get it on a new server - could you please advise me on the best way to backup v5? I see a few ways online – I have done a tar to the zimbra folder before but it took hours. Should I try rsync?

I planned on doing the following
    My answer would depend on whether you're going to move from a 32bit server to a 64bit server - you should as 32bit system will be deprecated in ZCS 8.x.
    Regards

Bill

uname –a gives me “Linux mail 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:47:28 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux”

I believe that means this is 32 bit.. We want to go to 64 bit, I guess that complicates this more.

Thank you again

I believe that means this is 32 bit.. We want to go to 64 bit, I guess that complicates this more.
    Slightly. As you mentioned above, I'd agree that you should upgrade your current server to the most recent release of Zimbra (currently it's 7.1.2), make sure you take an adequate backup before each step. When you're up to the current version and you're happy that everything's working OK then follow the steps in this guide: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki - if you follow them exactly then you should have no problems. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Regards

Bill

Thank you Phoenix,

What would be the process for going from 5.0.14 Open Source, to Zimbra Collaboration Suite - Standard Edition? Which is still 32-bit to 64-bit like before. What is the current version of Standard Edition?

Thank you Phoenix,

What would be the process for going from 5.0.14 Open Source, to Zimbra Collaboration Suite - Standard Edition? Which is still 32-bit to 64-bit like before. What is the current version of Standard Edition?
    My recommendation would be to go to the most recent release of Zimbra (Open Source) on your current server, if that's feasible, there are Ubuntu 8 versions for that. When you've done that then migrate to the new 64bit (Open Source) Ubuntu 10 server following the wiki instructions. Once you've moved to the new server with the current Zimbra release you can upgrade that OSS version to NE. Make sure you take an adequate backup at each stage of your upgrade and move, just in case. Let us know how you get on or if there's any further questions, good luck.

P.S. Do read the Release Notes (in detail) to check if there's any outstanding issues that may hit you, there's also a my sql table upgrade to be run manually after the upgrade (details in the Notes).
    Regards

Bill

aqeel is offline Member

Default Need more clear view

hi guys,

well our company is using Zimbra 5x 32 bit open source edition(zcs-5.0.2_GA_1975.RHEL5.20080130221917) & we want to upgrade to zimbra 7.2.4 64 bit,
    i am totally new to zimbra can any body guide me step by step how to do it? i also require our current mail boxes and accounts all data of current server to the new one, i need Step by step procedure
    Last edited by aqeel; 09-02-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aqeel View Post
    hi guys,

well our company is using Zimbra 5x 32 bit open source edition(zcs-5.0.2_GA_1975.RHEL5.20080130221917) & we want to upgrade to zimbra 7.2.4 64 bit,
    i am totally new to zimbra can any body guide me step by step how to do it? i also require our current mail boxes and accounts all data of current server to the new one, i need Step by step procedure
    Details of what you need to know is in this thread, read it and search the forums and wiki for further details of backup procedures (you should take backups before each of the steps) and how to move Zimbra from one server to another.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information