Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Requirements

jgt
    jgt is offline Active Member

Default Hardware Requirements

The system that I just built, with 60 users, runs for a while (a day or so) and then stops delivering inbound mail, the message is "421 mail not delivered, server busy".
    If I restart zimbra, generally the mail queue is cleared within 2 minutes.
    How much hardware is required for a system with less than 100 mailboxes, and only 10 active users? I have an Intel I3 processor with 4gb of memory and 2x250gb sata drive using Intel ICH10 RAID1.
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

awnz is offline Intermediate Member

As a fellow user, your specs seem adequate, and I wouldn't expect lockups from that config. I have a Zimbra VM running on lesser resources than what you describe and it is stable.

If you look at "top" on the server when it starts to get stuck, what do you see? Particularly what happens to the load averages, and do you get any/many processes that seem to get stuck in D-state?

jgt

Thanks,
    will try later, I have 3 or 4 hours of testing later tonight.
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

jgt

After going back to the old sendmail server, for three weeks, I tried using the Zimbra server again yesterday.
    Everything seemed OK but this morning there were 37 emails in the queue with the following error:
    delvery temporarily suspended: host mail.xx.com (192.168.100.5) refused to talk to me: 421 mail.xx.com zimbra server closing connection; service busy.
    Output from 'top' shows that the cpu is never more than 2% busy, memory shows 3.0gb of 3.9gb in use.
    If I re-queue the messages then they are delivered.
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Is AppArmor disabled on this server? Is it on a public IP or behind a NAT router? Is ther firewall also disabled? Have you looked in the log files for any errors around the time the mail gets delivered to your server or when it's put in the deferred queue? Go to the Split DNS and post the output of all the commands in the 'Verify...' section of that article.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jgt

I will leave the question about AppArmor for the moment.
    The machine is behind a NAT firewall/router. When starting a zimbra admin session inside the firewall it is possible to read user email.
    The Linux firewall is disabled.
    Ports 22,25,80,110 are open in the router.
    There are no errors in /var/log/zimbra.log, but, about 10pm (22:16) there is a small number of emails with large attachments being processed (106mb of attachments in 10 minutes.) The 'server busy' message starts then.
    What does not seem to happen though, is automatic re-queuing of the emails later.

Apparmor was running, I have stopped it.
    Last edited by jgt; 09-02-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added info about apparmor
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Two comments about the output you've posted. You have two NS records, they should use an IP address not an FQDN. The hosts file is incorrect, the following line needs to be changed from:

Code:
    192.168.100.5   mail.domain.com mail domain.com
    to the following:

Code:
    192.168.100.5   mail.domain.com mail
    Make those changes and see if anything changes.

One comment about the ports you have open in the router. You should not be using ports 80 & 110 on a server that's accessible to your users (both are a security risk), you should be using 443 https (instead of 80) and pops 995 (instead of 110) - in fact I'd suggest they use IMAP instead of pop for a better user experience (they also won't remove mail from the server) or even Zimbra Desktop.

Apart from the messages with attachments is there no other activity on the server at that time? Are these a total of 106MB of attachments or one attachment in one email?

I forgot to ask if this problem has just started or have you had it for a while? If it's just started, has anything been changed or updated on your server?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jgt

Two comments about the output you've posted. You have two NS records, they should use an IP address not an FQDN. The hosts file is incorrect, the following line needs to be changed from:

Code:
    192.168.100.5   mail.domain.com mail domain.com
    to the following:

Code:
    192.168.100.5   mail.domain.com mail
    Make those changes and see if anything changes.
    Done

One comment about the ports you have open in the router. You should not be using ports 80 & 110 on a server that's accessible to your users (both are a security risk), you should be using 443 https (instead of 80) and pops 995 (instead of 110) - in fact I'd suggest they use IMAP instead of pop for a better user experience (they also won't remove mail from the server) or even Zimbra Desktop.
    From what I have found out about the usage, the server is on the wrong network, as most of the email is local with large attachments

Apart from the messages with attachments is there no other activity on the server at that time? Are these a total of 106MB of attachments or one attachment in one email?
    There were less than 100 emails in the hour, what I have found out is that when the shift ends, each user sends an email with a 4mb attachment to their supervisor.
    I forgot to ask if this problem has just started or have you had it for a while? If it's just started, has anything been changed or updated on your server?
    This is a new installation to replace a worn out 1.4ghz Celeron system running SCO with Sendmail.
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

jgt

You have two NS records, they should use an IP address not an FQDN
    I have been re-reading your comments... Is this a reference to the DNS configuration?
    The problem still exists. Is it possible to raise the 'busy' threshold?
    Last edited by jgt; 09-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Suse 11.2 Zimbra 7.0

gvillaran is offline Loyal Member

Thats weird, i have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, (4 cores) with 4GB RAM and 2 500GB disks (with linux raid 1) with 550 users, we normally process 16,000 emails a day.

No problems running Zimbra OSS 7.1.2 with ubuntu 10.04.2 64bits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information