Thread: Handling blocklists efficiently and intuitively?

mhakali is offline Member

Default Handling blocklists efficiently and intuitively?

Hello.

As you may know Zimbra allows for 100 white and blacklist senders under Preferences -> Mail -> Spam mail Options.

Adding users if you know who they are is easy. You just enter the user or domain and save and that's that.

However, propose that you receive mails from a specific sender time after time, you put it in Junk a few times. But new mails keep coming in. Now you want to block the user.

Preferably, I would like to right click the sender in the mail From part, and "Add to block list" or alternatively have a Block -> "Add to Block List" / "Add to Allow List". This is probably something that many would adore. But not (afaik) available. Can I create a plugin for this? If so, how, and where do I begin?

However, as the above is not possible I will be required to get the user mail address or domain. Since Zimbra 7 you cannot mark the sender mail address and just copy, as it's neatly tucked as some retracted clickable icon. Hovering over this icon will reveal the mail address, but I cannot copy it there.

So I have to click the user, to create a new mail to it. Then I have to in the mail doubleclick this little "To" icon, to expand the user's mail address on the "To" field. Now I can copy it.

Then I have to go all the way to Preferences -> Mail ... and add it.

I don't want to manually type a mail address and/or domain because it'll prone to errors.

You see the point...

So, admins, how do you do it?

Do you have any workarounds and/or tricks?

Mikael

fyd
    fyd is offline Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by mhakali View Post
    Hello.
    However, propose that you receive mails from a specific sender time after time, you put it in Junk a few times. But new mails keep coming in. Now you want to block the user.
    Hi Mikael,

Putting that mail in junk folder will actually train the antispam system on the server to identify it as spam. Apart from that, an administrator can very well block the accounts on server so that it will be checked by mta and will be rejected every time. Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki

Preferably, I would like to right click the sender in the mail From part, and "Add to block list" or alternatively have a Block -> "Add to Block List" / "Add to Allow List". This is probably something that many would adore. But not (afaik) available. Can I create a plugin for this? If so, how, and where do I begin?
    This sounds like an enhancement to me, as of now this feature is not available. Search bugzilla.zimbra.com and if it has not been mentioned, you can file an RFE.

I don't want to manually type a mail address and/or domain because it'll prone to errors.
    You see the point...
    Mikael
    I am afraid an end user will have to manually do that as of now. Right click the mail and click 'show original' to get the headers. Copy/Paste the account and block it.

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    Hi Mikael,
    This sounds like an enhancement to me, as of now this feature is not available. Search bugzilla.zimbra.com and if it has not been mentioned, you can file an RFE.

I am afraid an end user will have to manually do that as of now. Right click the mail and click 'show original' to get the headers. Copy/Paste the account and block it.
    Hello. Thank you for the swift clarification and confirmation of my described scenario.

I am still interested in the original request if a zimlet and/or plugin approach may be used as a workaround for this in the meantime.

Putting up an RFE is not a bad idea. But as it is definitely not a guarantee of implementation, I thought I might contribute to it if I can find a good means for it.

So if any of you admins have a tip and/or input on this, please give me a hint.

BR, Mikael

fyd
    fyd is offline Elite Member

It would be nice to have a zimlet like that. Anyway you can update your profile with the ZCS version you are running. http://www.zimbra.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Quote Originally Posted by fyd View Post
    It would be nice to have a zimlet like that. Anyway you can update your profile with the ZCS version you are running. http://www.zimbra.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile
    Welp, of course! And, done.

ewilen is offline Moderator

This feature has been the subject of a few RFEs in bugzilla. Probably the best place to register your interest by commenting and voting would be bug 59485.

I've inserted a comment there requesting that the duplicates be consolidated, which will give a better picture of the demand for this feature.

Thread Information