Thread: Path for IMAP files

Arvand is offline Junior Member

Default Path for IMAP files

Hello,

A user is mentioning that all their emails prior to friday were removed. We do have a backup system backing up all files on the server every day. However, I'm not sure exactly which path needs to be restored to restore his emails. Are pointers to emails kept inside a database? Because all I could find was a long list of all emails under /opt/zimbra/data/mailboxd

Appreciate any assistance.

Labsy is offline Elite Member

I suggest you update your profile with Zimbra version you have, so it we don't have to guess.

I looked through the User CP but wasn't able to find it. We have the latest Zimbra version installed. It was only put online last month so Zimbra 7.x.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvand View Post
    I looked through the User CP but wasn't able to find it. We have the latest Zimbra version installed. It was only put online last month so Zimbra 7.x.
    You're right - I cannot find that option anymore.

Regarding backup and restore, here is official Zimbra doc:
    Backup and Restore

If you have Zimbra Open Source edition (without backup/restore) you will probably need to merge files somehow, and reindex mailboxes. But I do not have an idea how...

So is there no way to restore a mailbox if I have all the files of the operating system at the specific time I want to restore to and can restore any files or folders that I need? (R1Soft backups)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvand View Post
    So is there no way to restore a mailbox if I have all the files of the operating system at the specific time I want to restore to and can restore any files or folders that I need? (R1Soft backups)
    Of course there is a way to restore from backup. But since it is not Zimbra native backup, you need to - in principle - do the following:
    - Zimbra mailbox organisation is not plain and simple, but are mail items at first sight quite randomly dispersed in directory structure with numerical names (like an internal filesystem)
    - so you need to determine which files and in which folders are missing for this particular user
    - then you may either inject files into user's mailbox, or just copy them into folders, then reindex database for this mailbox...and this is the part I don't have enough knowledge to suggest you what to do

You may wait for some better expert to advice, or employ search to see if somebody else had simmilar situation before.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There's a thread in the forums that has a script using 'zmlmtpinject' (search for that word) to insert the email into a ZCS and correct the sent dates. If your email isn't in the required format then search the wiki and forums for details on how to convert it to the required format. If you need to inject mail from the Zimbra store into ZCS then you'll need to determine the correct user mailbox ID for the store, again details are in the wiki and forums.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

The emails are Zimbra's... They were deleted. And I just need to know where the actual email files exist on the file system to start properly searching for stuff.

Labsy - "- so you need to determine which files and in which folders are missing for this particular user"

Thank you. Do you know which path all files within the imap server exist under?

Thread Information