Thread: Disable outbound SA check, and/or remove headers?

RACjr is offline Member

Default Disable outbound SA check, and/or remove headers?

It's a long story as to why this is needed, but the short story is that it is needed in my case.

Is there any way to tell SpamAssassin to not bother it's checking for outbound mail. That is to say, for mail originating on my local network?

What would be best is to have a way to strip the whole header process entirely to a simple, minimal header. The various "X-DSPAM-Result:", "X-Spam-*" and "X-Virus-*" headers are causing GMAIL's (yes, google's mail) to think that any mail sent from Zimbra is actually spam itself. I know that's hard to believe, but it appears to be true.

Even if the solution relies in Postfix, is there any way to remove these headers on the "outbound"?

I've whitelisted my local domain inside zimbra's /etc/mail/spamassasin/local.cf file, but it seems to do nothing (all headers are still in there).

Don't get me wrong, I love that Zimbra checks incoming email for virus & spam, but most mail servers allow you to re-write the headers on outbound (to hide the details of the configuration behind your firewall).

Gracias!

mrfileio is offline Active Member

Assuming you have one on your network, I'm wondering if specifying an non-zimbra, e.g. straight up sendmail, server in "Global Settings -> MTA -> Relay MTA for external delivery" will solve your problem?

RACjr is offline Member

Thanks. That's what I ended up doing. We now punt to an MTA in the DMZ running exim that strips the headers.

steppenwolf is offline Junior Member

I have the same problem, and i think that using a relay mta isnt the best solution. There is a way to strip off de X-spam headers in the outbound mail???

dlbewley is offline Senior Member

Question how to omit X-Spam-Score header for non-spam ?

I have the same problem. I'm a department on a campus and they only add a X-Spam-Score header if the score is >= 5. They've told users they can junk messages if the header exists at all. Zimbra adds this header even if the score is negative.

The salocal.cf.in looks like this:
    Code:
    clear_headers
    add_header spam Flag _YESNOCAPS_
    add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ tests=_TESTS_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
    add_header all Level _STARS(*)_
    add_header all Checker-Version SpamAssassin _VERSION_ (_SUBVERSION_) on _HOSTNAME_
    So...
    I would like to keep the X-Spam-Status header intact:
    Code:
    X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=9.773 tagged_above=-10 required=6.6
    	tests=[BAYES_99=3.5, CAMPUS_FLAGGED_AS_SPAM=5,   
            INFO_TLD=1.273]
    But not create a X-Spam-Score header if the score is < 5.

Anyone know how to make that change in spamassassin? I could look into doing it on my edge MTA, but I think that might be messy to try doing selectively.

dlbewley is offline Senior Member

I've tried

Code:
    clear_headers
    add_header spam Flag _YESNOCAPS_
    #add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ tests=_TESTS_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
    add_header spam Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ tests=_TESTS_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
    add_header all Level _STARS(*)_
    add_header all Checker-Version SpamAssassin _VERSION_ (_SUBVERSION_) on _HOSTNAME_
    remove_header ham Score
    But I still get a X-Spam-Score header even for negative values. In fact I don't think my changes are doing anything. After changing salocal.cf.in I'm running 'zmantispamctl reload' and I see that the amavisd process has an updated timestamp.

How do I get rid of X-Spam-Score headers on ham?

heureso is offline Member

Default found solution

I ran into this same issue. The culprit is some jiggery-pokery that AmavisD is doing, so changing /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in resolves it.

The line that needed changing starts with "$sa_tag_level_deflt =" -- it was set to -10, and I changed it to 4.

I'm guessing that this change will not persist across upgrades.

Thread Information