Thread: Upgrade Suggestions?

msf004 is offline Loyal Member

Default Upgrade Suggestions?

I have an OLD installation of ZCS (Version 4.5.11_GA_1752.RHEL4) on a RHEL server that is beginning to have critical hardware problems - lucky me.

In planning to replace my server I figured I would look into installing a newer version of ZCS at the same time. I have asked Zimbra for assistance with this; however, I understand they do not offer these types of services. I think I am just a little *afraid*.

If I get a new version of ZCS installed, should I be able to simply use my /opt/zimbra/backup directory to get everyone's accounts working on the newly installed server?

I guess, ultimately, my question is: in theory, should I be able to simply:

(1) make a copy of my /opt/zimbra/backup directory
    (2) install a new version of RHEL (RHEL 5.x)
    (3) install the newest version of ZCS (7.1.1)
    (4) somehow recover from my copied (4.5.11) backup directory

Am I over simplifying this, or should it be this easy?

Thanks for any feedback.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If you're moving to a new server (and I assume it's 64bit?) then you'd need to follow the 32bit to 64bit guide in the wiki, there are also threads in the forums that cover what you want to do. I'd suggest you upgrade your current server to a more recent version of Zimbra then move it after you've confirmed that everything is working OK. Make sure you take adequate backups during the upgrades and move and read all of the Release Notes (and search the forums) for any outstanding bugs that may affect you.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

LMStone is offline Moderator

If your existing server hardware was OK, I'd agree 100% with Bill that you should do an in-place upgrade first and then a 32-bit-server-to-64-bit-server move.

But since you say that you are having hardware issues, even though it will mean two server moves instead of one (assuming you are on 32-bit now), I'd do a 4.5.11-to-4.5.11 server-to-server move first, then an in-place upgrade to get you to a version for which there are both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. And then, do another server-to-server move to get you to 64-bit, and then an in-place upgrade to get you to 7.1.1 (or 6.0.13) plus the latest patches.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

msf004 is offline Loyal Member

So, in taking baby-steps to understand the process, am I accurate in understanding that to accomplish the first 4.5.11. to 4.5.11 move all that I need is the contents of the backup directory (opt/zimbra/backup)? Or is it recommended to backup more?

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by msf004 View Post
    So, in taking baby-steps to understand the process, am I accurate in understanding that to accomplish the first 4.5.11. to 4.5.11 move all that I need is the contents of the backup directory (opt/zimbra/backup)? Or is it recommended to backup more?
    Try this:
    Ajcody-Notes-Server-Move - Zimbra :: Wiki

This is often referred to as the "install.sh -s" method. We use it as the default method for moving to new hardware.

Two things: Always keep a copy of the zimbramon directory from the install.sh -s installation. Always back up .saveconfig from your rsync'd production copy before running install.sh on the new server the second time.

The zimbramon directory is platform-specific, so when doing a move between distributions or 32-to-64-bit, you'll need to replace the rsync'd version with the install.sh -s version else bad things will happen.

If the second run of the installer borks, you'll need the rsync'd version of the .saveconfig directory to be able to start over.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information