Thread: 7.1.1 64 bit wont start after migration

iceruam is offline Special Member

Default 7.1.1 64 bit wont start after migration

I am really getting annoyed with this...
    I installed 7.1.1 on ubuntu 10.4
    tested it, it worked.
    I followed the Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki (which I think might be outdated)
    I am giving up on zimbra for a week I need a holiday, this was my 5th attempt to get it running
    I even tried the migrate accounts, but for some reason I was not able to connect through ldap on the old server...which I think had to do with both servers have the same name...I tried the server rename thing too to no avail...after the server name change I could not log into the admin console..the logon page appeared but would not go to the next page. but I digress.

Are there better instructions, ones that work, to go from 6.08 32-bit to 7.1.1 64-bit?
    I will attempt one more time before I need to make a decision on plan b

Default copy 32 bit to 64

Has anyone tried this? I just thought it would be easy enough to follow the instructions. I think my next alternative it just copy the whole /opt/zimbra directory over....if this does not not work I am going to use groupoffice, they seem more stable and I am tired of all the hassles of zimbra

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by iceruam View Post
    Has anyone tried this? I just thought it would be easy enough to follow the instructions.
    Yes, many people on the forums have doen that procedure.

I think my next alternative it just copy the whole /opt/zimbra directory over...
    That won't work, you need to follow the exact instructions in the article.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

LMStone is offline Moderator

I am really getting annoyed with this...
    I installed 7.1.1 on ubuntu 10.4
    tested it, it worked.
    I followed the Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki (which I think might be outdated)
    I am giving up on zimbra for a week I need a holiday, this was my 5th attempt to get it running
    I even tried the migrate accounts, but for some reason I was not able to connect through ldap on the old server...which I think had to do with both servers have the same name...I tried the server rename thing too to no avail...after the server name change I could not log into the admin console..the logon page appeared but would not go to the next page. but I digress.

Are there better instructions, ones that work, to go from 6.08 32-bit to 7.1.1 64-bit?
    I will attempt one more time before I need to make a decision on plan b
    The instructions work if you follow them literally. The AJCody wiki article has further details, so I won't repeat procedures here. However, having done this several times, here are some things that you should keep in mind when using the "install.sh -s" method:
    1. You already know that you have to do an LDAP export from the 32-bit system and then do an LDAP import into the 64-bit system, but in our experience this must complete without any errors whatsoever, however minor in appearance to get a successful upgrade.
    2. After you do the initial "install.sh -s", copy the /opt/zimbra/zimbramon directory someplace safe. After you do the rsync from the old 32-bit server, replace the rsync'd copy of /opt/zimbra/zimbramon with the version created by install.sh -s. Otherwise, you will get a lot of symbol errors from trying to use 32-bit bits on a 64-bit system.
    3. After you do the initial "install.sh -s", immediately run as root "chkconfig zimbra off" to prevent Zimbra from starting automatically on boot.
    4. The version of zmfixperms in 7.1.1 has a bug in it that will prevent Postfix from starting. You could apply the latest patch or search the forums and find the post which describes the two files whose ownership will need to be changed for Postfix to start.
    5. Before you run install.sh the second (hopefully final) time, take a copy of the /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig directory. If the install borks, you'll need to copy this back to start over.
    6. Before you run install.sh the second (hopefully final) time, check that the UID:GID for the zimbra user on the new 64-bit server matches those on the old 32-bit server.
    7. Before you run install.sh the second (hopefully final) time, but after you have configured the new server with the same IP address as the old server, recheck that /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf have no spurious or erroneous entries and that all entries in BIND are correct. Then, either restart BIND and the networking service ("rcnamed restart; rcnetwork restart" on SLES) or reboot the server - this is why you ran "chkconfig zimbra off" earlier BTW.
    8. Now, when you run install.sh for the second time, the "upgrade" is more likely to succeed.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Default Thanks for the advice

I am away for a bit but will be back next week to give it another go. I did not do the -s or a second install.
    thanks again
    Last edited by iceruam; 06-30-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information