Thread: Need advice going from 32bit ZCS6 to 64bit ZCS7

frankske is offline Senior Member

Default Need advice going from 32bit ZCS6 to 64bit ZCS7

Hi all,

I currently have a (non-clustered) 32bit ZCS6 system with about 200 mailbox users on it.

I know that this is a dead end, so I'd need to migrate to 64 bit before I can go to ZCS7. At the same time, I'd also like a clustered setup (with 2 or 3 mailstores), as I need to add about 75 heavy users the next 2 months.

How do I do this? Can I "add" a new ZCS7 to the existing (single-server) setup? Or is it better to just setup a new ZCS7 server, and migrate the old accounts during one big planned maintenance?

Frank

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by frankske View Post
    Hi all,

I currently have a (non-clustered) 32bit ZCS6 system with about 200 mailbox users on it.

I know that this is a dead end, so I'd need to migrate to 64 bit before I can go to ZCS7. At the same time, I'd also like a clustered setup (with 2 or 3 mailstores), as I need to add about 75 heavy users the next 2 months.

How do I do this? Can I "add" a new ZCS7 to the existing (single-server) setup? Or is it better to just setup a new ZCS7 server, and migrate the old accounts during one big planned maintenance?

Frank

First, you'll be fine with a single modern server for that many users; no need to think about adding a second mailbox server until you have at least double the number of users you now have. And in any event, I'd be more inclined to add an MTA-only server first, to take the spam processing load off the mailbox server.

The 32-to-64-bit migration can be scary the first time you do it, but all it does is add another step to the server-to-server move process (using the install.sh -s method) in that you need to export LDAP from the 32-bit server and then import it on the 64-bit server.

We've done a number of these, and if it were me I would do the server-to-server move at your current ZCS version, changing operating systems if you wish at the same time. Once you get the server move done at the ZCS6 level, then you can update to ZCS7 in place on the new server.

This may help.

All the best,
    Mark

Thread Information